Another tailgate window problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another tailgate window problem

Having just spent best part of the day curled up in a ball in the back of the truck trying to free the tailgate window I need, 1) advice, 2) a new back! The back window is locked up solid, to be honest it hasnt worked for ages but I havent had the time of inclination to look at it. But today I had a go at sorting it. The motor is fine but the winding gear isnt, it's siezed up. The problem appears to be the runners at the bottom of the window are rusted up so the runners wont slide back and forth. Have been spraying them with 3 in 1 oil to try and free but to no avail. So I have the situation that the back window is about 1/2 an inch open, wont open any further and wont close. Short of breaking the glass so I can get the winding gear out, any ideas

Cheers Spoggle

If you can get the window down far enough to clear the surround, you can trip the catch that stops the tailgate opening and then carefully open the door and sort it out with the thing flat.
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
      If you can get the window down far enough to clear the surround, you can trip the catch that stops the tailgate opening and then carefully open the door and sort it out with the thing flat.
      Only managed to get it down about an inch, even tried unbolting the winding gear from the tailgate but it still wasnt enough to get at it. Left the motor out so the ruddy window will no doubt drop like a stone when I driving her

Spoggle

Comment

There's a fairly good spring in there as well to take the pressure off the motor so it shouldn't crash down too hard...
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Can you get the tailgate open? If you whip off the carpeted panel on the inside of the tailgate, you can push down a lever and pull the handle (can't explain it exactly) and get the tailgate down without lowering the window. It's not gonna solve the problem obviously, but you'll be able to see what's going on a bit better.

Comment

Well after spraying lots of oil and applying a little persuasion with a crow bar, I got the tailgate window down far enough to get the tailgate open. A lot of oil and scraping rust off later, the window is now sliding freely. Only problem now is the flaming tailgate wont lock:
            I have no idea what I've done, but when I close the tailgate the catches arnt locking. So the only thing keeping the tailgate closed at ther moment is the fact the the window is wound up. Please, please can someone tell me how to sort this before I go totaly nuts:

Cheers Spoggle

Comment

Does it "click" into place or just sit there (and fall open if you let go?)

Alan
              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
                Does it "click" into place or just sit there (and fall open if you let go?)

Alan
                Just falls open mate, the catches on the side of the tailgate aint snaping closed over the hooks on the inside of the opening of the boot area. Have diconected to cables and oiled them, had the lcocks out at each side of the tailgate oiled and replaced em, but nothing. Could it be an electrical fault? Have checked all the leads and they look ok,cant see any that are broken or diconected.As I recall the nearside catch hasnt worked for a while but the offside was ok. With the back window being siezed up I havent used the tailgate for ages. Just the fact that Im off work on the sick that has spurred me into action now But I wont let it beat me Wonder if gaffertape will keep it closed No I'm sure that with a little help from you guys all will be sorted soon

Cheers Spoggle

Comment

Originally posted by Don Logan View Post
                  Can you get the tailgate open? If you whip off the carpeted panel on the inside of the tailgate, you can push down a lever and pull the handle (can't explain it exactly) and get the tailgate down without lowering the window. It's not gonna solve the problem obviously, but you'll be able to see what's going on a bit better.
                  eh? How can the tailgate go down if the window is up?

Have you done this or are you just half arsing someone elses information?
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Spoggle, the locks are cable operated from the centre pull handle.

Sounds like the lock springs have given up.
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I've got the tailgate open, ie, down and am able to open and close window with the tailgate down. Its just that when I push the tailgate into the close position the locks arnt operating to keep the tailgate closed. All the springs that I can see look ok with no obvious damage.Only thing I havent tried yet is a ruddy big hammer.

Cheers Spoggle

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=52501
                        tiz how i fixed mine dude
                        hope it helps
                        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=52501
                          tiz how i fixed mine dude
                          hope it helps
                          Exellent post mate, that was just the problem that I had. The runners were rusted to hell and everything had siezed up. Scraped all the crud off and gave the whole thing a good dose of clean engine oil to keep things running smooth. Problem I had was the tailgate wouldnt lock when I closed it, but with a lot of thumping it with a lump hammer. Well ok the I diddnt hit it with the hammer I just made threats to. Took the locks out, oiled em and took the cables off and oiled them to. Then things started to free up a bit, so now the tailgate locks on the offside but still no go on the nearside. Looks to be a bit of damage to the outer cable which is making the inner a bit stiff.So it looks like a trip to the local breaker for a new old bit.

Cheers Spoggle

Comment

Working...
                          X