Hello all, Q's about 2.4td

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all, Q's about 2.4td

Hi, great site by the way. I have just bought a 92 2.4td auto surf for £1350, 110,000 miles on clock. Just looking at this forum I have realised this model is prone to head failure, gutted! Is there a good way to prevent this? eg uprated radiator, cooling fans, aqua mist injection, etc? Can't really afford another £1000 to have the head done just yet! Any help in the right direction would be great, thanks.

Anybody?

Comment

welcome dude
      my head has done me 6 years up to yet (on mi surf) been on there since it was made in 93
      they are not all bad dude just some
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Had my 2.4 for 6 years now and up to now the head is fine and shes pushing 240k . Just keep a eye on the coolent levels and make sure the rad is in good nick. But most important, if she starts to get hot stop and let her cool down dont let her cook. Now I aint no mechanic,as many on here will tell by the S.F.Qs I ask, but its just a bit of common sence. Oh good luck with the motor mate, and enjoy.

Spoggle

Comment

Good maintainance of the cooling system is vital if you don't want head trouble.

Give the cooling system a good flush out and then fill it back up with the correct amount of anti freeze in the mix.

Make sure you 'burp' the cooloing system after a drain and refill (do a search on burping the cooling system for more info) or try this link: http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...hlight=burping

Check for any coolant leaks from split hoses etc and fit a new radiator cap. As Spoggle has already said keep an eye on the temperature gauge and don't allow the engine to cook.
          Last edited by Scorpion; 19 March 2010, 13:33.
          'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Thanks guys, really loving it so far, first 4x4 i've owned, always been skylines and evo's ect before, got fed up of speed bumps so went the other way! Yet to take her off road but looking forward to it! May get my local garage guy to flush the rad and give the cooling system a good check over soon, will check coolant levels and pipes in the mean time. Fingers crossed. Getting really good mpg at the mo too, but have been taking it really steady since I found out about the heads! Got the lovely job of replacing the stereo soon, that should be fun!

Comment

what part of the world/uk are you in?
              “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

off topic

Originally posted by New surfer? View Post
                what part of the world/uk are you in?
                hi, what part of west london are you, ex hounslow me.

______________________________ ___

Comment

I'm in Lincolnshire, land of the hills! Not..

Comment

Originally posted by garethb View Post
                    Thanks guys, really loving it so far, first 4x4 i've owned, always been skylines and evo's ect before, got fed up of speed bumps so went the other way! Yet to take her off road but looking forward to it! May get my local garage guy to flush the rad and give the cooling system a good check over soon, will check coolant levels and pipes in the mean time. Fingers crossed. Getting really good mpg at the mo too, but have been taking it really steady since I found out about the heads! Got the lovely job of replacing the stereo soon, that should be fun!
                    If your local garage does the job make sure they are familiar with the surf
                    ie: red coolant not water and how to burp the system, else they could actually make it worse!!

Alan
                    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Sorry to be such a newb, but where do I get red coolant from?

Comment

Getting really good mpg at the mo too
                        Are you sure mate? Remember althought the speedo dial has most likely been converted to MPH the odometer is still counting in kilometers. So although you may think you're getting 40 mpg you're only getting 25 (if you're lucky)!
                        'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Compared to a V6 petrol car I am! A lot more! Quite suprised really.

Comment

red coolant
                            http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=149

Comment

Sorry to be such a newb, but where do I get red coolant from?
                              Hi N welcome, get ya red coolant from ya local Toyota stealer about 15 squid (5 litres)

"Cos short cuts cost more in the long run"
                              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                              X