polish?wax? Whats the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polish?wax? Whats the best?

Can anyone recommend the best polish etc to get some deep scratches and rub marks of my paintwork? Unfortunately the lane I found got narrower and narrower and the growth got thicker and thicker, but it was a good un.

Always found that Autoglym Super Resin Polish or whatever its called does a good job on scratches and bush rash. Seems to get rid of them rather than just masking them like Colour Magic does. I use both of these products (not at the same time tho!).
    Last edited by Rob; 13 June 2004, 00:32.

Comment

I use T-Cut followed by Colour Magic. How long will it be before the undercoat shows through?

Try it entirely at your own risk. It works for me.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

I use autoglym super resin polish as well and have for many years. Its not as harsh as t-cut but does a good job without really cutting the paint, you may need a little bit more elbow grease on the tougher marks.
        It is as it says a resin polish, so the resin part gets the scratches out then it is a combined polish as well. Then I use autoglym gloss polish, a good regular use of this builds a good coat up on the paint and you will find that once you have applied it a few times it helps protcet against those scratches as well.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Mer

John
          http://members.dodo.com.au/burston/drinkofbeer.gifA pint of lunatic soup please!

Comment

I have used Autoglym for as long as I can remember and it is the best polish and if the paint is really bad the paint restorer is very good and took 85% of the green lane scratches out of mine.

Once you have done that the best protection and scratch filler I have found is the Turtle Wax COlour Magic and it seems to stay protected for about 3 months :-0

Rich.
            If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Being an ex resprayer and valeter I would SWEAR by AUtoGlym. Nothing else is anywhere near as good. Shame about the price though!
              I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Meguiars
                The only thing I could find that does exactly what it says on the tin. Scratch remover actually covers up scratches without damaging paint and no swirl wax leaves no swirls.

Comment

JUST LEAVE IT DIRTY.
                  Says the man wot just spent all day with a bottle of colour magic and autoglym metal polish for the shiny bits.....................
                  sumo.
                  If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Polish

Hi
                    I have used the Autoglym range of products for many years. Their Super Resin Polish gives an excellent shine and will remove fine surface scratches. For more obvious scratches I use the Paint Restorer which is a mild abrasive. As a last resort on more serious scuffs and scrapes I resort to a fine cutting compound made by Farecla and available from paint shop suppliers. Be very careful when using this product as it is very easy to remove too much paint. The very fine scratches left by the Farecla can then be removed by using the Autoglym products.
                    An earlier reply mentioned Meguiars polish. I used their glassfibre polish many years ago on a boat hull and there was nothing to touch it for effectiveness. If their automotive range is anywhere near as good, then its definitely worth a try.
                    An electric orbital polisher makes the job a lot easier, although care needs to be taken not to exert too much pressure, especially on edges and corners.
                    These machines need not be too expensive. I bought mine, brand new, from the local Sunday Market for £7.
                    I hope this is of some help and have fun with the polishing.
                    Post some pics of the stunning results!!
                    Keith

Comment

Working...
                    X