New Member needs help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member needs help!!

I've been debating a Surf for the past 5 years and finally given up trying to justify it to myself. I have put an offer on a '95 30l SSRX with 89k on the clock (i presume miles) near Halifax which I am going to test on Saturday (13 March). Its been in the UK 5 years and apart from a few wear and tear marks looks pretty good. Asking price is £2k plus my Shogin Pinin, which I don't think is too bad. I have read all the buying guides here and on Hi-Lux surfing, for both of which I wish to thank the contributors, but was wondering if anyone, in the West Yorks area, felt like a little run out.

I need to rely on the vehicle to do around 18k miles over the next six months with minimal input from my wallet; having to feed, clothe and educate the children is apparently a higher priority so I can't really afford to get this wrong! I would also rather like not to get the usual 'told you so' lecture from 'the powers that be' if it proves a lemon!
    klicken bis das blut kommt

Hi welcome.

Sure somone near should be able to help.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by moonpig View Post
      I've been debating a Surf for the past 5 years and finally given up trying to justify it to myself. I have put an offer on a '95 30l SSRX with 89k on the clock (i presume miles) near Halifax which I am going to test on Saturday (13 March). Its been in the UK 5 years and apart from a few wear and tear marks looks pretty good. Asking price is £2k plus my Shogin Pinin, which I don't think is too bad. I have read all the buying guides here and on Hi-Lux surfing, for both of which I wish to thank the contributors, but was wondering if anyone, in the West Yorks area, felt like a little run out.

I need to rely on the vehicle to do around 18k miles over the next six months with minimal input from my wallet; having to feed, clothe and educate the children is apparently a higher priority so I can't really afford to get this wrong! I would also rather like not to get the usual 'told you so' lecture from 'the powers that be' if it proves a lemon!
      Only my opinion, 2k for a standard 2nd gen is all it's money and then some. Why you would pay that plus you current motor is lost on me mate.
      Brian

Comment

If your satisfied with it, 2 k for a good example seems fair. I certainly wouldn't be handing another car over as well though. I have a 3.0 ssrg, with all the extras, LSD, cruise control etc, and I've sold it to another forum member for £1750. You should be able to recoup some of the asking price by selling your current motor.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

i just bought my '93-94 3.0 SSR-X Manual for £1800, and i was well happy with that price. Yes i agree what GWH200 said, £2000 and thats that, not your car as well..
          www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by VidaMusic View Post
            i just bought my '93-94 3.0 SSR-X Manual for £1800, and i was well happy with that price. Yes i agree what GWH200 said, £2000 and thats that, not your car as well..
            He may want to keep it for when his cylinder head implodes...he'll need alternative transport.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

He may want to keep it for when his cylinder head implodes...he'll need alternative t

I have a Merc S500 as well which is my 'shinny shinny'. The Surf is basically a vehicle to clock 600 miles per week, carry me, two 6' 3" lads plus bikes to where we want to play with minimal input from my pocket and give me some pleasure as well. I spoke to the seller just now and passed on the comments, he is willing to come down to 1800 plus mine so I think I will go with that. The Pinin is a crashed/repaired jobby which owes me nothing, to be honest I will be glad to see the back of it.
              I have no doubts that I will get the 'told you so' lecture over the next few months but what the hey, having owned 2 Alfas and a Lancia I know how to enjoy pain!

Comment

As long as your happy with it, that's all that matters. My piece of buying advice:- start from cold, after checking oil and coolant levels. Someone on here was done, buying a 3.0 litre that turned out to be a 2.4. You can tell by the rad cap being on the rad, not the stat housing. Also the aircon fan and rad is on front of the main one....anyhoooo.
                Start from cold and get it ip to temperature. Check there's heat in all directions, including the rear heater. If on initial checks, the coolant seems manky or it overheats or it pushes coolant back through the expansion bottle, I would advise you walk away. There's plenty for sale. Good luck.

Edit...I just love being near a big(ish) town for once...wifi courtesy of the glencruitten community forum...love ya, hug ya,squeeze ya.
                Last edited by gwh200; 12 March 2010, 10:34.
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

@gwh200

Thanks for the advice. I will use your experience.
                  It all looked pretty straight last week when I looked it over. Started first time from cold, ran smooth and quiet. I am worried about the SAS which I have read about but will take a tape measure along. Never know might get another couple of hundered knocked off!
                  Thanks again.

Comment

Hi moonpig, i can come over & take a look with you if you like, only thing is is my surf is going in for MOT at 10:30 so it would be after dinner before i can get over to you.

Oh & welcome by the way.
                    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Hi n Welcome ...after 1300 suid n 2 years all's good with mine ....
                      Good Luck with ya purchase..

"Cos short cuts never work in the long Term"
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

@Si

Hi Si,

I ended up picking yesterday evening but you are welcome to come and laugh at me. Give me a call on 07884002956 if you want your day brightening!

Comment

Good man. How did the shakedown go?...any issues.
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by moonpig View Post
                            I have a Merc S500 as well which is my 'shinny shinny'. The Surf is basically a vehicle to clock 600 miles per week, carry me, two 6' 3" lads plus bikes to where we want to play with minimal input from my pocket and give me some pleasure as well. I spoke to the seller just now and passed on the comments, he is willing to come down to 1800 plus mine so I think I will go with that. The Pinin is a crashed/repaired jobby which owes me nothing, to be honest I will be glad to see the back of it.
                            I have no doubts that I will get the 'told you so' lecture over the next few months but what the hey, having owned 2 Alfas and a Lancia I know how to enjoy pain!
                            Just remember that a 2 ton surf is not an economic vehicle. If you really are expecting to achieve 600 miles per week then this equates (at a good 23 miles per galon) 124 litres of fuel per week. You can work out what that would cost you.
                            Although, on the plus side, if you can get cheap unused vegatable oil then this would normally save you 25-40% depending on how you used it
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                              Good man. How did the shakedown go?...any issues.
                              I called over to have a look & see what a lemon he'd bought but TBH its in really good condition, even has a good set of BFG's on it.

Gave it the once over & checked all levels inc axle's & it was all spot on.

Took it for a run & all was good, i'd say he's got himself a good solid truck, "shame its burgandy"
                              If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X