Sunstrips, Yes or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunstrips, Yes or No?

I am thinking or getting a sunstrip; are they legal and are they 'OK'?
    I don't want to be pulled over for it and I don't want to make my truck look like it was styled by someone who just finished sticking a Whale Tail on a 1.1L Vauxhall Nova!

I was thinking of this one on eBay.

Will it look crap and should I just go for plain black or something?

My truck's colours are Burgundy over Grey.

Thanks,

Ray.
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

I love the "Rare" in the Add title if it's so "RARE" how can it be produced in any colour you chhose ??

Thats just a solid vinyl sticker as produced by Apache on here, if you want one droop him a PM for a price.

I believe sunstrips are legal, how else would Halfords sell them for the boy racers, but geneally they go on the inside of the screen and tend to be graduated so as not to block out part of the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by lord_flashart View Post
      I am thinking or getting a sunstrip; are they legal and are they 'OK'?
      I don't want to be pulled over for it and I don't want to make my truck look like it was styled by someone who just finished sticking a Whale Tail on a 1.1L Vauxhall Nova!

I was thinking of this one on eBay.

Will it look crap and should I just go for plain black or something?

My truck's colours are Burgundy over Grey.

Thanks,

Ray.
      Hmmm...just looked at eBay site and I'm getting alarm bells!
      Anyone who can't spell simple words, claim to have sold 100's with a 113 feedback at 98.3% & doesn't get buyers requests right for something as simple as a sunstrip, must be a cause for some concern!
      Also, no mention if their sunstrips are for internal or external fitment! (You can buy both obviously.)

I prefer the sunstips that fade from top to bottom myself. Much better effect!
      As suggested, I'd give Apache a shout. You've nothing to lose but it is likely he will listen and do what you want if poss.

Regards.

Comment

The one on e-bay is eight inches deep and will encroach on the swept area of the windscreen, if this is by 10mm in front of driver or 40mm anywhere else, it will fail an MOT. there is a chance a zealous cop or VOSA inspector could pull you on the road as well.

Comment

On top of what others have said, why would you want it?

I think the windscreen is supposed to be transparent. It helps for seeing what's going on outside.
          Andy
          http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
            On top of what others have said, why would you want it?

I think the windscreen is supposed to be transparent. It helps for seeing what's going on outside.
            So I don't get blinded by the sun! Why else would I want one?
            My 1 year old daughter usually rides up front with me too so we are both affected and as there is no fade behind the rear view mirror so the internal visors are junk for about 20% of the width of the windscreen!

I think I'll leave it and get an internal fade one as I have researched elsewhere and found that external ones which are hit by the windscreen wipers are MOT failures and I use 19" blades so I'll get about 10mm of strip if I stick to MOT limits!

Thanks,

Ray.

Comment

My 1 year old daughter usually rides up front with me too
              Wow, is she big for her age?
              Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Yeah but not super huge!
                She has a big car seat with all the tilt settings and other jazz on it so it bumps her up really far!

Comment

So I don't get blinded by the sun! Why else would I want one?
                  My 1 year old daughter usually rides up front with me too so we are both affected and as there is no fade behind the rear view mirror so the internal visors are junk for about 20% of the width of the windscreen!

I think I'll leave it and get an internal fade one as I have researched elsewhere and found that external ones which are hit by the windscreen wipers are MOT failures and I use 19" blades so I'll get about 10mm of strip if I stick to MOT limits!

Thanks,

Ray.
                  Thought about this idea before as its one hell of a bright in the summertime and even the combination of visor and sunglasses didn't do much good (whole truck tinted now bar the windscreen). Being a bit fussy but dont like the look of the fixed sun visor mounted outside, wasn't keen on the solid strip types that are on ebay and didn't fancy a diy graded job on the windscreen. If you dont mind me asking what internal ones were you looking at as i cant seem to find any that are ok?

Ta!

Rob
                  The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

You could get window tint people to make you one, it shouldnt cost much at all

Comment

Yea could do ....but can seem to find anything that grades to zero i.e always looks like there is a line (maybe just the pic?....), for example http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Windscreen-Top...item5639913fd5 may just be looking in the wrong places!...to be honest it was a pain when the diy stuff was done (cant take credit as missus did it, i made the tea as i didnt have the patience really good job tho) some pre cut would be great as patience and tint was running out at the time, but the costs were a fair bit different.
                      Last edited by wiggy; 9 March 2010, 16:59.
                      The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Working...
                      X