New to the "surf"!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the "surf"!!

Hi guys and gals, first may I say how impressed I am with this forum/website. I am currently saving up some of the queens finest pound notes to buy6 a 2nd gen surf. From the information I have read here, I believe it is best to get the 3.0 rather than the 2.4, as the 2.4 suffer from cylinder head problems.

I quite fancie an automatic as I have been driving manuals since passsing my test. I was pleasently supprised with the prices you can pick a surf up for, I have seen fairly decent examples for around £1500, which is about my budget.

Is there anything specific I should look for when I go to buy one, like any tell tale signs, or common faults/failures to look for? as I really dont know much about the surf.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, as soon as I have bought my surf I shall post some pics.

Yogi.
    Keep On Truckin!

There is a section in the FAQ on what to look out for.

Its not long been put together so its being add to all the time.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Welcome. They are great trucks, and even the older ones are incredibly reliable if well looked after. The head problems sadly aren't limited to the 2.4, but looking after the cooling system can prevent it happening. As is said many times, overheating causes it to crack, not the other way round.

The site in my signature has a FAQ with a list of things to watch for and test when viewing/buying too, and just read around here to see what the regular problems are.
      Andy
      http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Hi and welcome to the home of insane surfers.
        There are some members up your way that i'm sure will go out and look over a truck with you or for you if you can't.Just have a good read through the FAQ's etc and you'll be fine.If you can't find the answer just ask
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
          Welcome. They are great trucks, and even the older ones are incredibly reliable if well looked after. The head problems sadly aren't limited to the 2.4, but looking after the cooling system can prevent it happening. As is said many times, overheating causes it to crack, not the other way round.

The site in my signature has a FAQ with a list of things to watch for and test when viewing/buying too, and just read around here to see what the regular problems are.

Thanks for that buddy, I shall check it out.

Read the FAQ, its very usefull, so thanks.
          Keep On Truckin!

Comment

Hi and welcome, If you fancy coming to meet a few of us at the end of july have a look here.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=60655
            I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

http://daemon4x4.org/tech/hiluxsurf/
                ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by jotto View Post
                  Hi and welcome, If you fancy coming to meet a few of us at the end of july have a look here.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=60655

hey jotto, thanks for that, hopefully I will have my surf by then, im hoping to get it in the next 4-6 weeks, if I have got it I will defo pop along for the day (cant stay overnight as I take care of my wife).

EDIT....

Forgot to say I only live down the road from there, so popping up for the day will be no problem.
                  Last edited by ronsarrox; 2 March 2010, 22:50.
                  Keep On Truckin!

Comment

Hi and welcome mate
                    Neal

Comment

Thanks to all for such a warm welcome.
                      Keep On Truckin!

Comment

There may be a paradox here. A fair few of the 2.4s that are still running, will have the new head fitted. So, maybe they will be more reliable than the 3.0s which are now dropping like flies?
                        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I know.

Gives me an excuse to fit a V8 though
                          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                          X