Any Healthcare type folk on today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Healthcare type folk on today?

Hiya justa quick one...sod all to do with surfs!
    My daughter has a hearing check tommorow (long story but has taken a year to get an appointment) and the only prob is that she has come down with chickenpox this weekend. she seems ok apart from the spots but would this preclude her from doing the test?

Ta in advance

Rob
    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

she should be fine mate. Its worth calling and checking local protocal.
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

I thought chickenpox was contagious?
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        I thought chickenpox was contagious?
        It is, she wouldn't be able to go to school so I would think twice about taking her anywhere.
        In space no one can hear you scream

Comment

It is and i guess she was mis diagnosed with it when we were in the uk but now she has them again (just been to the italian pediatrician on fri...75Euro's for the pleasure!), but the drama is that she needs the hearing test for a referal to the speech therapist who will be flying in from the uk or cyprus and we have been waiting for a year to see her.
          I wouldnt want to shift her but its all done through the US system as the our lot only have a GP over here and getting an appointment at the Navy hospital is like pulling teeth as the brit clinic has to pay for them. Also its a 5hr trip and dont want to phone as they will probably say leave it, then its another god knows how long till she gets seen again and if we are there she will hopefully get seen.

Anyhow if push comes to shove, i know that if she has a cold that will affect the test but would pox affect it? (no fever, aches etc)

Comment

Rock and hard place mate, you're right if you ring them they will probably cancel.
            In space no one can hear you scream

Comment

only contagious up to a certain point, as i say its worth checking local protocal

Once the blisters of the chickenpox rash have dried out and crusted over, there should be no risk of the infection being passed on to someone else.

The infectious stage of chicken pox usually lasts between five to ten days.
              Last edited by charvell; 28 February 2010, 17:22.
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by wiggy View Post
                It is and i guess she was mis diagnosed with it when we were in the uk but now she has them again
                It's a common mistake that people think you can't get chicken pox more than once. The missus had them several times when she was a kid and yet I never had them until a year or so ago when I caught them. Handy tip - get it over with as a child cos they're awful to catch as an adult! I barely moved out of bed for about 3 weeks.

Originally posted by wiggy View Post
                Anyhow if push comes to shove, i know that if she has a cold that will affect the test but would pox affect it? (no fever, aches etc)
                It could possibly affect a hearing test because the virus that causes chicken pox will tend to affect the nervous system (which hearing is obviously connected to). The other possibility is that she may have pox in her ears which would also affect the test.

Almost certainly whoever is doing the test may be reluctant to have a patient with an infectious condition in a public place too

Probably best to phone them and see what they want to do about it but I guess it'll probably have to be delayed for the the three reasons I mention.

I've got no direct experience of the Italian healthcare system but from a regulatory point of view they can be a proper nightmare (I used to work in a research/product development department at a drugs company!) and I hear that nebulizers are rather popular there! (Much like how the French seem to be mad about suppositories!)

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                  It's a common mistake that people think you can't get chicken pox more than once. The missus had them several times when she was a kid and yet I never had them until a year or so ago when I caught them. Handy tip - get it over with as a child cos they're awful to catch as an adult! I barely moved out of bed for about 3 weeks.

It could possibly affect a hearing test because the virus that causes chicken pox will tend to affect the nervous system (which hearing is obviously connected to). The other possibility is that she may have pox in her ears which would also affect the test.

Almost certainly whoever is doing the test may be reluctant to have a patient with an infectious condition in a public place too

Probably best to phone them and see what they want to do about it but I guess it'll probably have to be delayed for the the three reasons I mention.

I've got no direct experience of the Italian healthcare system but from a regulatory point of view they can be a proper nightmare (I used to work in a research/product development department at a drugs company!) and I hear that nebulizers are rather popular there! (Much like how the French seem to be mad about suppositories!)
                  Thanks for all the replies,much appreciated, think i shall chance it and take her tomorrow as she has a pedi appointment afterwards so can at least get proper care (italian system is ok but get what you pay for i.e went friday and got care and was told to come back a couple of days later, and lil one would get some medication and if that works ............will be a couple of days afterwards etc... their health doesnt have a price but 75 euro's a shot prays on the pocket a bit.

Shall look out for symptoms in ourselves, so thanks for the insight (doc told us it was not possible but we thought it might be with different strains)

Also shall call when we are there to warn them off but it is the biggest naval hospital in Europe so should be ok with chickenpox lol!
                  Dont want to put the lil one though this but even if they dont do the test she will see a english speaking doctor (not that locals are bad but a lot can be lost in translation!)

Fingers crossed as she really needs to get on and get ok'd again to see the speech therapist again....and she only comes over every few months!

Its all crap really, would have been seen and sorted if it wasnt all about budgets not exactly a big thing but annoying..also supposed to see a brit doc and dentist but havent seen one since we have been here, have to go local and claim it back ...funny seemed to visit milan and Rome ok!

Thanks again folks!

Rob

Comment

How did you get on ?

you could have said it was a rare skin disorder then gone to Ischia for some spa treatment where your hair turns green ?
                    Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Haha could have done! & a big thanks to everyone for their opinions (Its a common sense decision to keep her home but its not always straight forward when other elements are tied in, however its good to get some advice!)

Bit of a bad day really! went the usual road but it was closed in the mountains so it took nearly 3 hrs to get to the hospital (some brilliant views on the coast road though). The audio tech that was there was really helpful and didn't have any problem with the lil one having chickenpox...but...someone had cocked up the appointment and put the missus down instead.
                      Unfortunately he wasn't qualified to give under 18's the hearing check and no doctor till the end of the week, so have re-booked and have been lucky enough to get an appointment on the 10th so fingers crossed 'spotty' is better and it all goes fine!
                      Then just got to get the results to the health visitor before she comes up on the 16th to do an assessment at the lil ones school (might be a bit hard as its an Italian school and the old boot doesnt speak the lingo..... but thats what she said she wanted so....)
                      All been a bit of a nightmare really but if it helps Hannah then its all worth it....and missus got to do some shopping so guess its not all bad...

Rob

Comment

Glad Hannah is getting better Rob

You fitted that lift kit yet
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

You let the Mrs loose in Napoli to shop ? you are a brave Man !

Anyway glad you are getting something sorted !

cheers

John
                          Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Cheers Richard she is behaving more like herself now but still covered in spots ...poor lil sod but making up for it in ice-cream and cartoons. Hope you and yours are doing fine too!
                            Unfortunately have been rained out past few weekends and had a fair amount of social stuff on that you cant really get out of..............however the lift and suspension was pencilled in to do last weekend as a definite, but that went a bit awry with the lil one not being not so well........This weekend we are booked out on Fri and other half is out to a lunch on Sat then sorting the garden out on sunday (if the rain stays off as there are probably tribes of pigmies making my garden their new home as we speak!)
                            I have a bit of leave coming up at the end of the month so will try and get all the big stuff done then but it feels like every time im ready to go something else crops up, same for everyone i guess but oh well on the bright side at least i have had time to get some extra tools to make my life a bit easier and noting all the little jobs that i hadn't noticed before ..... i am however still trying to get a hold of a decent set of spring compressors (not much joy over here but have one last place to try and if not i have seen a set that look ok on machine mart (just waiting on the confirmation that they can post). they look a bit weird though and the ones that i had asked about on here before seem to be out of stock.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by John h View Post
                              You let the Mrs loose in Napoli to shop ? you are a brave Man !

Anyway glad you are getting something sorted !

cheers

John
                              Cheers John..hmm not so brave as it was the Commisary and NEX (i think the logic is that we can get more as its duty free )

Comment

Working...
                              X