update on my truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update on my truck

It is still broke. Mechanic from work checked there is power to the glow plugs, Fuel to the injectors and that the stop solenoid was working. The symptoms are very similar to a problem that I had with a 1989 toyota celica. In that case it took approximately 6 weeks to work out that is was a fault distributer it was a five minute job to change after a quick visit to the local scrap yard. I was interested to know if anyone else has had a problem like this and if so is the distributer easy to change

id say that the distributor is impossible to change , if the distributor has gone you may as well scrap the truck now ,

or at least find out why someones fitted a distributor to your diesel engine
    PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

I take it from your response that there is no distributor on a deisel engine. Having said in my previous posts this is my first diesel

Comment

yup, a distributer distributes the spark to the individual plugs on a petrol engine making them spark in the right order at the right time,

on a diesel engine the plugs glow (hence glow plugs) and dont require a spark at the right time etc so they dont have a distributor
        PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Are ya sure (or can the mechanic check) that the injector pump timeing aint out, check the belt etc, that'd be my first try, wip the rad and timeing cover off, inspect the belt or replace it, and make sure the timeing marks are align'd,
          glow plugs are only an aid to cold starting, once it running it needs no electricle power to keep going, (apart from stopping it)
          have a butchers on "wikipedia" for how diesel's work, it'll give ya the basic principals,

or try spraying some Wynns "start ya ba$tard" up the air intake! followed by a quick squirt of "comeon for christs sake" available at Halfords
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

the engine has an electronic fuel management system,so the ecu needs certain values from engine sensors to be able to operate correctly.whatever you do ....do not put 12volts directly to the spill control valve otherwise you will blow it.it only requires about 2 volts if i remember correctly,my guess would be a knackered ecu.have you tried retrieving the fault codes from it by connecting te1 and e1 together in the diagnostic plug and checking the flash codes.
            Last edited by surfenstein; 28 February 2010, 08:17.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Fair comment Mark, i was talking basics though, meaning theres no actual spark to maintain running, fuel management is another matter, remember haveing a lister engined truck at a woodyard i worked at, small single cylinder job, hand crank to start and flip the decompressor lever over to stop, it had no battery fitted,

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                Fair comment Mark, i was talking basics though, meaning theres no actual spark to maintain running, fuel management is another matter, remember haveing a lister engined truck at a woodyard i worked at, small single cylinder job, hand crank to start and flip the decompressor lever over to stop, it had no battery fitted,
                then i shall shut me face ian..............good old engines them listers,we got one at work .....its a bar steward to start,nearly takes yer arm off when you throw the de compression lever to start it.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  or try spraying some Wynns "start ya ba$tard" up the air intake! followed by a quick squirt of "comeon for christs sake" available at Halfords
                  Neal

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                    then i shall shut me face ian..............good old engines them listers,we got one at work .....its a bar steward to start,nearly takes yer arm off when you throw the de compression lever to start it.

Aye mate they were hard work, made me think of a road roller i drove on the ports city council, that was a hand start engine, 4 cylinder thing with a geared cranking handle, wot an absolute ba$tard to get going, especially on a cold morning, many times i had to get someone to spray diesel start up the air filter while i ####ed the dam thing to death, use to leave it running dinner time once a day was enough!!

Comment

It started. It was a mixture of knackered glow plugs and duff batteries. Both are getting changed and it is finally getting the service I promised it. I will be mobile again Tomorrow.

Comment

Glad it was only that mate, few of us heading for Bala this comming sunday 7th if your intrested in getting it dirty?

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=61390

peace
                        cal
                        Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X