Noisy engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy engine

Please can anyone help,im getting noises only when i accelerate,,so i took to garage who asked me to start engine up and when i did there was a small puff of smoke comming from manifold area and he said that is what the problem will be,,im checking to see if anyone knows of this noise and problem so i dont get skanked at the garage,,there is also black fluid showing in the manifold area.
    Do you agree that this noise that only happens when i accelerate and the puff of black smoke when start engine could be the issue...
    "Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."

What does the noise sound like?

Whereabouts in the manifold area?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
      What does the noise sound like?

Whereabouts in the manifold area?
      ..i dont know much about engines but not much lower than windscreen level,if i were to lift bonnet then look directly at the area,then the puff of black smoke comes up on engine start and there is a black fluid leak high up..sorry if im not thorough but dont know nothing about engines..the noise is more of a screechy rattle but the car wont go too fast,,the noise also do seem to disappear when get to 70 but the rattle or should i say a kind of ticking rattle noise is still there....

Comment

Originally posted by johnaki1 View Post
        ..i dont know much about engines but not much lower than windscreen level,if i were to lift bonnet then look directly at the area,then the puff of black smoke comes up on engine start and there is a black fluid leak high up..sorry if im not thorough but dont know nothing about engines..the noise is more of a screechy rattle but the car wont go too fast,,the noise also do seem to disappear when get to 70 but the rattle or should i say a kind of ticking rattle noise is still there....
        if youre loosing power mite be turbo, or gaskets blowing.

Comment

As soon as i took in garage and started engine a small puff of black smoke came from manifold area,and the noise is only when i accelerate,,the guy said straight away was manifold,,he said could be about 300.00 does that sound about right,,just trying to prevent myself been skanked.

Comment

Originally posted by johnaki1 View Post
            As soon as i took in garage and started engine a small puff of black smoke came from manifold area,and the noise is only when i accelerate,,the guy said straight away was manifold,,he said could be about 300.00 does that sound about right,,just trying to prevent myself been skanked.
            fideley job, sounds a bit pricey though.

Comment

inlet or exhaust manifold?

exhaust gasket or the EGR connection can leak, but is only a couple of hours effort at the least..

Even a cracked exhaust manifold, should be that expensive, get a used one.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Turbo to manifold gasket leak sometimes on 2.4 and they make a rattle/whistle noise as the metal gasket vibrates like a reed in a wind instrument .
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  inlet or exhaust manifold?

exhaust gasket or the EGR connection can leak, but is only a couple of hours effort at the least..

Even a cracked exhaust manifold, should be that expensive, get a used one.
                  Thanks for that info my friend...inlet or exhaust,,i think exhaust,,its the one to the rear of the engine,,under widscreen area,,sorry i dont know much thats why im trying t get answers...in a nut shell,the noise has been there for about 1 month but recently noise is constant where as before it went over 70 mph,,from inside the car if i really push hard on accelarator the smell is oily and is like a constant ticking whereas before was more of a screechy noise.but when i start the engine a small puff of black smoke appears where manifold is and theres a smear of black fluid high up above where manifold would be,,,hopethat helps a bit..

Comment

If you've got a digital camera (or you could use your phone?) take a picture of the offending area, label it using something like Microsoft Paint and someone on here will be quick to identify where the problem is and possible causes.

Comment

Working...
                    X