Atf Fluid To "plump" Fuel Pump Seals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atf Fluid To "plump" Fuel Pump Seals?

Hi guys ive read on here that adding ATF to the tank may temporarily plump the fuel pump seals is this true are there any adverse affects?????

as ive developed a fuel leak and cant see where its coming from

only when cold

so im assuming its either the fuel return line thats leaking with unsued fuel or seals

pump seams dry and ive jubileed all the hoses i can find so its either under the pump or the pipe cant see it being a spilt pipe before the pump as i would imagine it would be persisting it out all the time but as i said after first start in the moring it seems to go

cheers for everyones help thus far

this is the last straw my missus is seriuosly giving my grief to get rid now and ive just got her (the truck that is) the way i want her.

It may be the leak off pipe that runs from injector to injector and then back to the pump as they have been known to leak occassionally.I have one here £20 delivered if its needed
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

If the pump's dry, why would you want to 'plump' the seals in it?

Have you cleaned the engine to make finding the leak easier?
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
        It may be the leak off pipe that runs from injector to injector and then back to the pump as they have been known to leak occassionally.I have one here £20 delivered if its needed
        dont suppose you have a pic or can point me in the right direction so i can check cant afford to misdiagnose thsi wife the wife breathing down my neck lol

cheers mate
        Last edited by BAV1; 18 February 2010, 23:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          If the pump's dry, why would you want to 'plump' the seals in it?

Have you cleaned the engine to make finding the leak easier?
          not yet mate thats what i will be doing tomoz and dusting with talc

although the top of the pump and imediate area are dry cant see underneath.

i personally think its the return pipes as i i would suspect the pump to p*** out all the time??
          cheers

Comment

It just seeps out of the pump, usually from the top cover.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

thanks mate from what i can see of the pump its seems dry and seems to be coming from further back

cheers

Comment

the leak off pipe is fixed to the injectors.
                this is the part you need to look at
                this is the 3.0l
                http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199...KPQT_2201.html

this is the 2.4
                http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199...KPQT_2201.html
                they normally go close to the circular parts especially if they have got knocked or bent slightly.
                This wont cost you much at all from me if it is the problem as i said £20 delivered.I am away tonight up to wales and not home till Sunday
                Last edited by stormforce; 19 February 2010, 08:02.

Comment

Thanks for all your help thus far guys i can now see the where the leaks coming from

if i look into teh engine bay from the passengers side just below the front of the pump i can see it dripping striaght down and running forward how every looking underneath it is also dripping further back

i have attached a diagram

is the pipework marked in read accessable with the pump in situe and can i get a replacement somewhere from somewhere if this is leaking

cheers guys
                  Attached Files

Comment

I am collecting another 2.4 tomorrow and will be home late tomorrow night or sunday morning.There should be a pipe on this truck so i will check when i get home

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                      I am collecting another 2.4 tomorrow and will be home late tomorrow night or sunday morning.There should be a pipe on this truck so i will check when i get home
                      cheers mate appreciate it

couldnt bring myself to put ATF in the tank so i emptied a large bottle of redex into it instead

lets see if it makes any difference

is the new truck a breaker?

if so how much for a good working rear window mech and window seal swapped the motor with rear door one a few weeks back as it was stopping about half an inch from closed and clicking and has just started again

great timing the missus is not impressed

and how much for the pump if its all in good working order.

cheers mate does anyone know of somone who can give the truck a GOOD overhaul to keep it going for another few years as i cant bare to get rid

out of interest do you have garage facilities (as a business)

Comment

The new truck will probably end up as a breaker the way things are going.
                        Window motor £40 delivered
                        fuel pump £85 delivered
                        if you had both then the window mech is £35

I got a small workshop where i break the surfs.I'll do oil changes,fan belts,atf and diff oils and filters but i won't touch anything to do with the timing as i don't want to be held responsible IF anything should go wrong.Hopefully in the next few months i should be having a bigger workshop so i should be able to fit 5 trucks in it

Comment

have you done a fuel pump before

at this rate im gunna need a workshop to
                          Last edited by BAV1; 19 February 2010, 16:51.

Comment

Originally posted by BAV1 View Post
                            have you done a fuel pump before

at this rate im gunna need a workshop to
                            i have only done it on a truck i put back on the road but i won't do it for anyone as i'm not a qualified mechanic (not that it matters anyway) and i wouldn't want anything to happen to someone else's truck if i made a mistake so i only do it on my own so if anything goes wrong i wont have to pay up and i can just break the truck for spares

Comment

dont blame you mate

fingers crossed the redex will do the jump for now lol

Comment

Working...
                              X