Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going off road

Unfornualtey with no mud involved
    Due to the current economical situation and facing the prospect of being made redundant, things haven't been going well in the Chaos household. So in order to save some costs on running the truck I'm declaring it SORN for a year. Hopefully by then things will have improved.
    Anyone got any tips for looking after a car that is stored long term? I know the obivious would be to start the engine now and then to keep the battery charged and free everything up. Also looking for a large plastic cover to put over the truck.
    I'll still log on now and then though to say hi, so you won't be getting rid of me that easily.
    Hold my beer and watch this

Never done a car, but for one of my bikes I jacked it up on axle stands to ensure tyres didn't develop a flat spot. Left it connected to a battery optimiser/charger. Ran engine every couple of weeks until cooling fan kicked in. Probabably other bits as well for cars.
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

This is handy..found it after i had a vectra sorn for ages...then had to try and fix it
      http://www.automedia.com/Vehicle_Sto...cr20010601sv/1
      Also check the exhaust as a kind of acid forms from the exhaust gases and can eat through rusty bits if given enough time

Hope this helps
      The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Bad news about the redundancy ect mate, hope it all works out for you, wiggy's link has some good info for you though.
        Neal

Comment

anything motorwise that I stand over time gets a good dose of grease/petroleum jelly coated on moving parts or anything which would be suseptable to rusting, electrics get wd40 and thats about it along with a monthly startup to op temperature. H

Comment

Oh and if its outside make sure you turn the wheels every so often and put on / release the handbrake so the brakes dont seize....they make an awful sound if they do........
            The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Sorry to hear it.

We've had ours on and off the road several times in the last year, and had it stood for about 4 months at one stage without starting (the radiator was out, complete overhaul of the cooling system).

If it's any consolation, it has started first time, on the button, every time. I've never done any proper preservation measures, and it sits out on the drive in all weather. I do normally start it up for a while every couple of weeks though, just to hear the sweet sound...

Next SORN will be from the end of this month till the summer, when we're going playing in Scotland. Since we have another (horrible, hateful, disgustingly yellow) car, which costs, well, significantly less to run, we only insure one at a time.
              Andy
              http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Run the aircon, electric windows, sun roof, heater and anything else you can think of now and again. The aircon especially doesnt like long perioda of non-use.

Comment

Personally your best off just starting her once a month and drive her back and forth wround the drive if you have one to free up other parts like the wheels and breaks etc.
                  Or if you were to just leave her standing then i would suggest draining the oil and possibly the coolant aswell.
                  Oh and disconect the batteries and leave a window or two open a crack. Handy if you have wind deflectors to stop rain getting in.
                  Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

Working...
                  X