Wind power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nostromo View Post
    It opened my eyes to how severe the energy problem is.
    You're right there, and that the problem can't be sorted by small measures like turbines on every house. It will require massively diverse generation, including tidal, wind, solar, hydro electric, bio fuels and other renewables on top of all the conventional oil, gas, coal and nuclear options. All that combined with more efficient generation, transmission and use of the energy.

No one of these options can solve the massive future demands, but none of them should be dismissed because of that.

The only one generation method we know of that genuinely could solve the problems is fusion, but it's still a very long way off being practical.
    Andy
    http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Im not sure if this has been mentioned yet as i havent read all the replies but i remember seeing on the News one day last year about farmers putting giant bags over their cows back sides to collect the methane gas they produce so they can use it as fuel! lol Im not kiding either! lol
      Apparently cows produce a massive amount of methane because they fart all day everyday hahah.
      Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
        The only one generation method we know of that genuinely could solve the problems is fusion, but it's still a very long way off being practical.
        The best method to date on the programme I mentioned was focused lazer collection. There are two systems being developed the better of the two being built in Korea. Produces lots of energy but not quite up there with nuclear. I still think we need to change our thinking though. When we talk about energy these days its as if we have a god given right to it and simply want to blame governments for not addressing the problem and supplying us with the power to suit our needs. Well why.
        Why do people think we should just keep working on ways to supply more energy, why not try to work on ways of needing less. I dont mean low energy light bulbs and the like, I mean changing our attitude to demand. just because we keep finding more and more ways to use the stuff doen't mean we should have to keep up with demand. Thats why I call it an impossible task.
        If you look at the average school these days it will probably need a new supply as the suply installed when it was built just isn't up to the job it's been asked to do. With all that IT stuff they use that didn't even exist when the school was built how could it be fit for purpose. Same applies to factory and hospital supplies. I bet even our domestic supplies are being streched.
        When I get up in the mornings and it's still dark, I dont put any lights on. I know the way round my house and only need the light on in the kitchen to make some breakfast. The wife on the other hand seems to need the bedroom, landing, hallway, bathroom and kitchen lights on just to get up for work, oh and the TV even though she isn't watching it.
        OK Maybe my wife is the cause of the energy shortage
        In space no one can hear you scream

Comment

This is one of those thought provoking threads...

Anyhow my small bit on fusion

The hydrogen used is a bit messy i.e. during any fusion reaction lots of spurious crap is produced which damages the fusion reactor and causes all the problems except for one element ?? known as Hydrogen3 its the stuff Fusion reactors like...a lot, trouble is its very very rare on earth .. 0.3 grammes or something of that magnitude...

But there's tons of the stuff not too far away....
          The MOON
          Millions of years being exposed to the Sun has let it build up a healthy reserve so who knows in years to come the Moon could be the next Saudi Arabia...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
            This is one of those thought provoking threads...

Anyhow my small bit on fusion

The hydrogen used is a bit messy i.e. during any fusion reaction lots of spurious crap is produced which damages the fusion reactor and causes all the problems except for one element ?? known as Hydrogen3 its the stuff Fusion reactors like...a lot, trouble is its very very rare on earth .. 0.3 grammes or something of that magnitude...

But there's tons of the stuff not too far away....
            The MOON
            Millions of years being exposed to the Sun has let it build up a healthy reserve so who knows in years to come the Moon could be the next Saudi Arabia...
            Speaking of the moon....i watched a "moon" documentary the other week and Nasa are saying that they can make water out of moon dust via some fancy process!!
            Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

Working...
            X