new boy with toy & silly question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new boy with toy & silly question?

hi, I a new surf owner and found this forum a couple of weeks ago. i serched and found answers to a few of my immediat query's such as "THE red button" "Sticky speedo" "Black smoke". ect,ect. My question altho it is proberly a stupid one, is having checked oil level in gearbox three different times and found it to be 1 1/2 to 2inch above the HOT mark wat if any damage can happen???? also when first starting off she reves high and pulls very slowly until hot. Any thoughts please.
    PS great site this

Welcome to the funny farm

Your question is possibley more suited to the mechanical section rather then the general , but no harm done . Is the fliud brown and a little smelly ? If so it could be a susspect gearbox prob . If fluid is a nice scarlet red in colour and semi translucent ( I amaze myself with the writting) all should be well .

Rick
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by ming
      hi, I a new surf owner and found this forum a couple of weeks ago. i serched and found answers to a few of my immediat query's such as "THE red button" "Sticky speedo" "Black smoke". ect,ect. My question altho it is proberly a stupid one, is having checked oil level in gearbox three different times and found it to be 1 1/2 to 2inch above the HOT mark wat if any damage can happen???? also when first starting off she reves high and pulls very slowly until hot. Any thoughts please.
      PS great site this
      Did you check the auto g/box level with the engine running?
      Should be properly warmed up (from driving at least 5 miles, not idleing) Then with handbrake on and foot firmly on brakes, select each gear in turn for a second or so, finally select park and then check level within the next minute or two. This will ensure an accurate reading.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

oops hi, sorry Vagrant No2 but i thought this was just a general question for those of us that are not mechanics, i slaped my wrist''''''' and no fluid is not smelly but a light brown. And yep read your wisdom about checking auto levels from past posts. Thats how i new how to check it, cheers for that, so i can assume i got a problem then (think i gonna cry)

Comment

Originally posted by ming
          oops hi, sorry Vagrant No2 but i thought this was just a general question for those of us that are not mechanics, i slaped my wrist''''''' and no fluid is not smelly but a light brown. And yep read your wisdom about checking auto levels from past posts. Thats how i new how to check it, cheers for that, so i can assume i got a problem then (think i gonna cry)
          May not be much of a problem, if its simply overfilled, just drain a bit and you should be ok. Don't leave it too long as excess fluid could cause problems such as blown seals etc.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks for your help will drain it at weekend and hope all is well

Comment

Working...
            X