PLease Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLease Help

I have just bought a gen 2 Hilux surf ssrx. It is an import and there is an after market button on the dash board that I am unaware of what it does. It is located directly below the hard/normal suspension button. With this being RED I don't really want to play with it. Also it is going for a full service next Saturday hopefully this will improve the very bad fuel consumption as it always running on full turbo. Any help and info will be appreciated

Welcome to the mad house

The button will be your fog light switch
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Ello and welcome, as jotto says it's the self-destruct... I mean fog light switch.

I got one on my'n and tried it right away. have seen some funny versions of this retro-fit too. The cooker switch one still makes me chuckle.

peace
      cal
      Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Does it look like a cooker switch..... sorry its an old joke

Back in the day Baby

Comment

the little red button on mine deploys wings and an afterburner when i press it!......or is that the green button?
          My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Originally posted by Wardy View Post
            IAlso it is going for a full service next Saturday hopefully this will improve the very bad fuel consumption as it always running on full turbo. Any help and info will be appreciated
            Define 'very bad fuel consumption'? 20mpg is pretty normal, up to 25-28 on a run.

It's impossible to be 'always running on full turbo'. Give us a bit more info on what makes you think it is.

Help and info is no problem, but it's maybe best to ask for something specific.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

In regards to the turbo statement. I mean the turbo kicks in at about 1800rpm. This seems a tiny bit low, Can this be alterred in any way. My wife is complaining about the fuel consumption, but I will be damned if I am going to get rid of it after wanting one for about 10 years

Comment

Sounds about right mate, round town 17 mpg.....maybe....on a run it might get 24.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I'm guessing that you have a 2.4 as you're being a little secretive with your vehicle details.

Yes, the turbo starts to boost @ 1800 rpm and stays there until you release the throttle. Also the 2.4s power to weight ratio is comical, so you're not going to go far on a tank full of diesel anyway.

Only use overdrive if driving at speeds above 45mph, leave off for city driving.

Make sure the tyres have at least 32 psi in them or economy will suffer.

And yes, the switch you found is for the rear foglight, they're not fitted as standard in Japan but a requierment over here.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    I'm guessing that you have a 2.4 as you're being a little secretive with your vehicle details.

Yes, the turbo starts to boost @ 1800 rpm and stays there until you release the throttle. Also the 2.4s power to weight ratio is comical, so you're not going to go far on a tank full of diesel anyway.

Only use overdrive if driving at speeds above 45mph, leave off for city driving.

Make sure the tyres have at least 32 psi in them or economy will suffer.

And yes, the switch you found is for the rear foglight, they're not fitted as standard in Japan but a requierment over here.
                    Hey Bush, is the 3litre better than the 2.4? I have the 2.4 and a friend of mine has the 3 litre. Can you re-map a diesel surf?

Comment

I used to have a 2.4 & now have the 3.0... have just got a bit more grunt ...as it were.. and a lot faster from standing (not exactly a sportscar but we all bought 4x4s with the aeodynamics of a brick lol )...then you have the v8's.........
                      The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
                        Can you re-map a diesel surf?
                        I think Bushwhacker 're-mapped' his...
                        Andy
                        http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
                          I think Bushwhacker 're-mapped' his...
                          Hmm... would like to know the results from that. if it improves power and economy i may just do it to mine.

Comment

lol, he put a Lexus V8 in it. Certainly improves power, but I wouldn't like to see the economy figures...

I don't think anyone's actually attempted to remap the standard Surf engines - not really the market they were released into. As a general rule, it's not possible to increase power AND economy of an engine anyway, certainly not without damaging the engine in the long run.
                            Andy
                            http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
                              lol, he put a Lexus V8 in it. Certainly improves power, but I wouldn't like to see the economy figures...

I don't think anyone's actually attempted to remap the standard Surf engines - not really the market they were released into. As a general rule, it's not possible to increase power AND economy of an engine anyway, certainly not without damaging the engine in the long run.

well, i was thinking that a remap can increase the effiency so ill be getting more power from the fuel im using. being it an old engine and all that.

Comment

Working...
                              X