well that was worth it :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well that was worth it :(

spents all day taking things apart under the bonnet today. i wanted to put a new rocker/cam cover gasket on as it was leaking oil everywhere.
    the cover was missing 2 bolts which i replaced 2 days ago. by the time i took the the cover off and stripped it all down i looked under my truck and noticed it wasnt leaking anymore? no more drips on the floor which is what i was acustomed to by now. it seemed the 2 bolts missing were the cause of it. i knew 1 bolt was causing the leak but i thought i had another leak somewhere at the back where i couldnt see.
    took the gasket out and it looked brand new. nothing wrong with it at all!
    oh well you live and learn. still had fun taking bits apart as one would
    i was also planning on respraying some of the bits i took off whilst they were out.
    spent ages cleaning the intake pipe (big silver pipe going over he engine), the air box and all the ducting that goes accross and down to the engine. and some other little pipe.
    anyway (lol) the paint i used was a high temp paint from Halfords and i didnt realise the paint was a "matt" finish! i was hoping to get a nice new shiny finish but erm.....no.
    i resprayed the silver intake pipe in "aluminum" which now doesnt even look like a metal! haha it looked better just when i cleaned it down
    i then sprayed the air box and ducting in a high temp red. also in a matt finish.
    all i can say is......it looks RUBBISH!! i have ruined my engine bay!
    i was going to spray the rocker cover in the same red but now i just want to cry!
    i think ill just order some new bits and bob from toyota and go for the "new" look as apposed to the chav look lol.
    dont ask for pics! lol

NOTE: is rust on the cam shaft a bad sign??? or no biggie??
    Windows 7 was my idea!

it must have had damp in there to be rusting, where on the camshaft is it rusting? the only thing I can think of is the head gasket must have gone sometime in the past, either that or it has been standing for a long period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by cfrizzy View Post
      it must have had damp in there to be rusting, where on the camshaft is it rusting? the only thing I can think of is the head gasket must have gone sometime in the past, either that or it has been standing for a long period of time.
      it had been standing for about 10 months before i started using her again a couple of months ago?

there is just a bit on the tops of it.

Last edited by surrey-surfer; 13 February 2010, 22:08.
      Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

dont think you have too much to worry about there as there is no mayonase in there its just from standing

Comment

Originally posted by cfrizzy View Post
          dont think you have too much to worry about there as there is no mayonase in there its just from standing
          ok thaks for that mate. had a little panic for a minute there lol. she drives really well.
          it just looks like its eaten superman if you look under the bonnet! lol
          Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

no worries you will find this forum is a font of imformation if in doubt just ask and someone will give an answer

Comment

I use this..http://www.tivolitrading.co.uk/shop/...&cat=924001155
              It needs a good 24 hours to dry though, and it's best sprayed on. I use a cheapie hobbyists airbrush. Doesn't need thinning and clean up with normal white spirit. The warmer the ambient temperature, the shinier the finish. Don't clear coat it to keep it looking good.
              http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...&postcount=188
              Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 13 February 2010, 22:26.

Comment

Originally posted by surrey-surfer View Post
                is rust on the cam shaft a bad sign??? or no biggie??
                If it's rust; yes, it's a probable biggie.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  I use this..http://www.tivolitrading.co.uk/shop/...&cat=924001155
                  It needs a good 24 hours to dry though, and it's best sprayed on. I use a cheapie hobbyists airbrush. Doesn't need thinning and clean up with normal white spirit. The warmer the ambient temperature, the shinier the finish. Don't clear coat it to keep it looking good.
                  http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...&postcount=188
                  nice! what toyota V8 is that though?? and is that the paint you used on the V8 in the pics?
                  the aluminum paint i used from halfords looks nothing like that! NOTHING! lol
                  just spray can rubbish. i was going to buy a little mini airbrush kit they had in there but didnt bother in the end.
                  i have however found this which i think you might like. its a Chrome paint in a can!
                  http://www.alsacorp.com/live/view_ki...rome_demo.html

check out their site alsacorp.com for their full range of chrome products, kits and systems. they do cans to full on spray gun systems for chroming.
                  Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    If it's rust; yes, it's a probable biggie.
                    it only seems to be a light surface rust. do you reckon its more serious then mate?
                    Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

nice! what toyota V8 is that though??
                      1991 Lexus LS400
                      and is that the paint you used on the V8 in the pics?

the aluminum paint i used from halfords looks nothing like that! NOTHING! lol
                      just spray can rubbish. i was going to buy a little mini airbrush kit they had in there but didnt bother in the end.
                      i have however found this which i think you might like. its a Chrome paint in a can!
                      http://www.alsacorp.com/live/view_ki...rome_demo.html

check out their site alsacorp.com for their full range of chrome products, kits and systems. they do cans to full on spray gun systems for chroming.
                      Don't like it, it's like buying an MR2 and fitting an expensive bodykit to make it look like a Ferrari. I'd rather have the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Don't like it, it's like buying an MR2 and fitting an expensive bodykit to make it look like a Ferrari. I'd rather have the real thing.

but wow on the lexus!
                        Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

but wow on the lexus!
                          I lied, it's actually a Toyota Celsior, exactly the same as a LS400 but a JDM version.

Comment

Working...
                          X