first time buyer looking for help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time buyer looking for help!

Hi everyone I am about to purchase my first hiluxsurf am looking to spend between £2500-£3000, seen quite a few online ranging from 1993-1996 with about 100k miles, what would people reccommend I buy in terms of year model etc. and what problems should i get my mechanic mate to check for any paticular afflicitions trucks of that age may have!!

cheers all any help much appreciated.. Braywick

Hi and welcome.For the money you got to spend then you should be able to get a decent 3rd gen or a tip top late 2nd gen.Basically look for everything you would on any other motor and make sure the 4wd works ok.
    On the 2nd gen only use the 4wd on loose surface or try it on the road but only for a few seconds or so in a straight line then disengage it
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi and welcome
      The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Welcome. Have a look at these FAQs for a list of things to check when buying:
        http://www.monthofsaturdays.net/surf...sked_Questions

2nd gens were manufactured till 1995, 3rd gens onwards from there. Early 2nd gens have a 2.4 litre engine, after 1993 they have the 3.0 litre engine - there was also a 2.8 litre non turbo and a V6 petrol, but these are less common. The 3.0 is generally considered better than the 2.4 (slightly newer, slightly more power, slightly higher mpg, slightly more reliable). The same 3.0 litre engine went into 3rd gens, Land Cruiser Colerado/Prados, Hi-ace vans and various other things - lots of them around.
        Andy
        http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

agree with above. good post and link mate.

IMO, second gen all the way. buy a decent one with a bad body for less money and spend the money left on a new paint job and rim/wheels.
          oh and check ALL electrics! dont forget the AC if it has it.
          also check around the top of the rad to see if its ever had any previous evidence of coolant being blasted out or any leaks etc. lots of rusty coloured coolant stains is never reasuring to see.
          Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

Thanks for the info adpsimpson, just what I needed,
            Well worth a look!

Comment

cheers for the info guys... all very helpful the search has begun will holler if i need any more advice.. and let you know when i finally get my hands on one!!

taa Braywick.

Comment

If you are going to spend that sort of money I would go third gen all the way. the biggest pain in my opinion of havign a second (or first) gen is having a 4x4 that you are nervous about using the 4wd system on (2nd gens you can only use it on surfaces where there is slippage -i.e. off road or ice).

The third gens allow you to use the 4wd system when you wish which removes stress in the snow (turning it off and on depending on how slippery you guess the surface is)

Having been out with a party of various marques and watching lifted mud tyred trucks struggle up a muddy incline that a road tyred, unmodified third gen with an inexperienced off roader at the wheel easliy trundled up with the centre diff engaged, to me its no contest.

Then again, for that sort of money I'd be tempted to look around for a landcruiser for the same reason.

Plus you get a free pair of hair straighteners stowed under the back seat of a third gen which are 'always on' and very popular with the ladies.

Comment

Working...
                X