Journey to France in Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journey to France in Snow

As some of you know I live in France and have just got Surfer Ross truck.
    I am flying to Stansted tonight to collect it (parents left it there for me) kipping at Dover tonight then drive from Calais to Brittany in the morning.
    Forecast is for fairly heavy snow and ice almost all the way should be a fun trip. Need to get a decent rope anybody have an idea where after 7 ish between Stansted and Dover??

Have a safe trip Rich and i'm sure one of the local guys there will be able to help you out with a tow rope/strop
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
      Have a safe trip Rich and i'm sure one of the local guys there will be able to help you out with a tow rope/strop
      Cheers not essential just may come in useful on the way

Comment

I got a spare procomp tow strop / couple of shakles and live near stansted - you can borrow and post back or replace from ebay, which evers cheaper.

Am home after 7pm will pm my no..

edit- can't pm you let me know your email address..

Rob.

Comment

As a last resort I'm sure ya can pick up a tow rope in the Shop (Danger trianles, light deflectors, GB stickers etc) at Dover Terminal ..
          Good Luck n safe journey home ..

"Cos short cuts never work in the long Term"
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Sorry guys, thanks for the help and offer of the rope but I left before I had seen it. It would have only slowed me down getting back was cars in ditches everywhere. I tried the 24hr Tesco but they didn't have any so had a play in the car park got used to how the truck behaved on snow/ice.

I made it back OK had snow almost all the way about a foot in some places
            I got an earlier ferry and drove through the night so am knackered now but the truck ran without any problems other than the screen wash freezing up just outside Boulogne. Managed just over 26mpg.
            Couple of photos sorry about the quality first 2 taken on my phone.

Dover early this morning

French motorway mid morning all the HGVs had been stopped from going on it and not many cars bothered too so nice and clear.

Nice and mucky now

Comment

bien fait mon ami!!!

How far do you live from Calais then?
              Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                bien fait mon ami!!!

How far do you live from Calais then?
                Was 630km from Boulogne to my house
                Am knackered I did 2 trips over in 3 days also had to get my 806 back.

Comment

Good to see she got you home safe and sound Rich and hope you get many years of enjoyment from her.
                  En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
                    Good to see she got you home safe and sound Rich and hope you get many years of enjoyment from her.
                    Thanks Ross I didn't really get the chance to drive it before I collected it from the airport but I must admit I really enjoyed the drive especially in the snow.
                    Almost didn't get the 806 back tho the slave cylinder pipe developed a leak in Portsmouth but I managed to crash the box for a while and it just made it. (I left all the tools in the Surf just in case )
                    Got to sort the tracking and back window out (I didn't get chance before I left) and think the vibration may be a CV joint or a bearing OSF as it has a little rumble at times but it hasn't got any worse so hopefully something simple.
                    Will get the machine polisher out when we have a nice day and give her a good detail inside and out

Comment

Originally posted by rbaz View Post
                      Thanks Ross I didn't really get the chance to drive it before I collected it from the airport but I must admit I really enjoyed the drive especially in the snow.
                      Almost didn't get the 806 back tho the slave cylinder pipe developed a leak in Portsmouth but I managed to crash the box for a while and it just made it. (I left all the tools in the Surf just in case )
                      Got to sort the tracking and back window out (I didn't get chance before I left) and think the vibration may be a CV joint or a bearing OSF as it has a little rumble at times but it hasn't got any worse so hopefully something simple.
                      Will get the machine polisher out when we have a nice day and give her a good detail inside and out
                      OSF won't be the cv's mate, I replaced the whole driveshaft in january and it has new boots on both joints. I had the bearings tightened up the week before you picked it up, didn't have time to do it myself but the garage bill is in your folder. If anything, I'd go for the bearing. It could maybe do with being tightened up a little bit more.

I reckon that when it's been tracked and had a new rear window relay, it'll be spot on. Show us the photos when its had a good machine polish.
                      En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
                        OSF won't be the cv's mate, I replaced the whole driveshaft in january and it has new boots on both joints. I had the bearings tightened up the week before you picked it up, didn't have time to do it myself but the garage bill is in your folder. If anything, I'd go for the bearing. It could maybe do with being tightened up a little bit more.

I reckon that when it's been tracked and had a new rear window relay, it'll be spot on. Show us the photos when its had a good machine polish.
                        Will try to find it when I get chance but its not a problem for now.
                        Will get some pics up when I do it think it will take a while bit bigger than a car lol but the old paint should come up nicely

Comment

Got some work done on the truck today
                          Roof bars off, rear window connected up and greased working brilliantly (will see if the relay plays up) removed whats left of the side stickers, got rid of the rust from the chrome (will patch the hole and make a sticker to cover it) and give her a good pressure wash off to remove the UK road salt and attacked under the bonnet with degreaser.
                          Am very surprised in much better nick than I expected for its age after a good attack with the polisher should come up a treat

Comment

Where's the pics then ??

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                              Where's the pics then ??
                              Too dark now will sort some out tomorrow but we are forecast lots of snow over the next few days so touch wood I might be busy playing in the snow

(thought most of you liked dirty Surfs on here not clean ones?)

Comment

Working...
                              X