Just did the timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just did the timing belt

Just did the timing belt on my 3.0 kzn130, so simple and quick to do, and really glad i didn't pay a garage to do it! found a PDF of the 1KZ-te engine manual online and ordered the genuine belt from Roughtrax.

moved the cruise control pipe out the way and cable tied it, then removed the top rad hose to get the fan (4x10mm) and housing (4x10mm) off.
    Take the 4 10mm bolts and two clips off the timing belt cover.
    Find the timing marks @ 12 o'clock on the top one and 4 o'clock on the bottomand 5 o'clock on the crank then line them up!
    22mm on the crank!
    loosen the two bolts on the tensioner evenly(10mm) remove it check for signs of leaks on the piston put it in a vice to re-tension it and pop a 1.5mm allen key through the holes.
    Check the pulley is moving freely.
    remove old belt and fit new one making sure it is tight on the side without the tensioner( make sure you havnt moved the timing marks).
    re-fit tensioner and pull allen key out to re tension turn over a couple of times carefully and slowly with 22mm on crank to make sure all three timing marks align at the same time.
    and re-fit all the bits you took off.

Hope this helps anyone who needs to do the job!

p.s fan nuts tighten to 13nm.
    Last edited by jmhole; 3 February 2010, 12:25. Reason: adding.

Thanks for the write-up.

The only thing I'd add is that I would always replace the tensioner and Pulley when doing the belt.
    Last edited by Albannach; 4 February 2010, 14:10. Reason: Spelling error!
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      Thanks for the write-up.

The only thing I'd add is that I would always replace the tensioner and Pulley when doing the belt.
      ok, I checked them and they were in very good condition, I believe they were changed 60,000kms ago as it said on the cover the belt was done @ 100,000km.

Comment

Also note albannach's advice and do it once do it properly
        Brian

Comment

Cruise control you say?

Comment

Originally posted by jmhole View Post
            ok, I checked them and they were in very good condition, I believe they were changed 60,000kms ago as it said on the cover the belt was done @ 100,000km.
            But you're looking to have them last another 100k and you don't know for sure if they were replaced with the belt last time or not. I'd not risk it.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty
              nice write up gives me confidence to do mine also i checked this might also help

see this post
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by T1z3R
              theres a little rubber bung in a hole in the plastic covering the front of the clocks. just to the left of the trip meter reset. pull it out and push a paperclip into the little button to reset it.

Unless its a 3rd gen, in which case the instrument cluster needs to come out and reset from the rear.

This thread tells all

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...t=timing+reset

originally by Bogus
              It may give you confidence but it won't help you as the 2.4 is completely different
              I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto View Post
                It may give you confidence but it won't help you as the 2.4 is completely different
                Yea the belt on the 2.4 is much bigger to handle all that power
                www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

It's a rad out air con off and to one side job on a ln130, proper pig of a job. I paid over the odds to get my'n changed didn't fancy it myself no room no tools etc.

peace
                  cal
                  Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Cruise control?

Comment

Originally posted by Calos View Post
                      It's a rad out air con off and to one side job on a ln130, proper pig of a job. I paid over the odds to get my'n changed didn't fancy it myself no room no tools etc.

peace
                      cal
                      pig of a job you say? can a diy`er do it or is it a proper garage job,as i have tools torque wrench etc...i`ve done timing belts on other cars no probs in the past,im assuming there the same sort of principle?
                      hilux surf 2.4 auto ssr-x 1991

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
                        Yea the belt on the 2.4 is much bigger to handle all that power
                        just out of interest how much power are they rated at the 2.4`s?
                        hilux surf 2.4 auto ssr-x 1991

Comment

Well I searched on here before deciding on whether to get it done or to do it.

I'm mechanicaly minded, but it's not a get it wrong and fix it after job, it's a get it right or you've destroyed it job, so I paid a garage to do it.

Bush and few others figured with the right tools it should take around 3 hours, you would need a puller for the pully also, I think the garage I used couldn't get the pully off and broke it trying so I had a new one of those too. hence the extra cost.

If you search for the guide on here you'll see it's a more involed job on the ln130 than the kzn is.

peace
                          cal
                          Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X