Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reassure me!?

Hi guys,

I am 100% sure I want another surf, I did have a 2.4 a few years ago but it went a bit wrong and long story short I had to sell it! Anyway, I'm 25 now so think I can insure it but same old same old, I'm skint! But I think I know what I'm after, a 3ltr TD, auto, ideally with a winter pack and in the perfect world with ricaro seats but not a big deal. At the end of the day I do about 30miles a day commuting, have 2 big dogs and do a lot of fishing so fairly basic off roading. And I think they look the nutz so want one! Most importantly money is tight I can't afford to keep getting in fixed so need reliability! What price do I need/expect to pay for the surf if aim looking at about 3k is it totally unrealistic?

Also what do I need to look out for when searching for my surf anything inparticular on a 3ltr model?

I appreciate your help
    Nic

I would have thought for 3k you would get a reasonable 3.0 for that.

Check all the electrics work windows etc, air con, 4wd system. Make sure you start it from cold and take it for a run til its nice and warmed up. All heaters work, expansion tank level is ok. Good oil level and pressure.
    If auto check atf fluid is topped up and correct colour.

Take a look on the for sales section on here, you will be able to see what you can get for 3k.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

We picked up a totally standard, less than average miles, excellent condition, taxed and tested, 3.0 2nd gen last night for £1650!!

There's still some bargains out there, you need to do the 'leg' work.

Welcome by the way, enjoy your stay.

Comment

Ash Bushwhacker said, 3k is a lot of money for a 2nd gen. 2k is about the normal going rate for a very good one. If you're after a 3rd gen then 3k may be nearer the mark, but not too sure as I've never looked.

There's a list of questions to look over when buying here.
        Andy
        http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Cheers guys, really appreciate the advice - If it off a fourcourt would I expect to be paying more money?

2k, is mega pleasing, I have an audi Avant and my Dihatsu Sport track to Part x if possible so hopefully that will cover it!

Any suggestions on useful places to look, is it ebay and the usual places?

Seen as I am a total numpty could I ask you to clarify what the tech speak you mentioned in the first reply?

Also, how do you test the 4 wheel drive, simply run it up a muddy hill or do I need to jack it all up to check they are all working?

Comment

Some here...
            http://www.adtrader.co.uk/motoring/c...36900_cpn.html
            http://www.adtrader.co.uk/motoring/c...41683_cpn.html

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
              Check all the electrics work windows etc, air con
              just try them... the tailgate window is the most likely to fail, although fairly easy to fix. Check the rear demister while you're at it, it's got a habit of packing in.
              4wd system
              while driving in a straight line, slowly, press the 4WD button on the transfer stick (beside the gear stick). If the green '4WD' light on the dashboard comes on, it's working. It only comes on once it's engaged - may take a second or two.

Never actually drive on a hard surface in 4WD by the way, you'll damage the transfer box.

expansion tank level is ok.
              Coolant expands into the small tank in front of the left battery. When cold, it should be full to about the step.[/quote]

Good oil level and pressure.
              Pressure is shown on a gauge on the dash, should be about 1/3 during normal driving.
              If auto check atf fluid is topped up and correct colour.
              There's a dipstick for the atf, if it's a 3 litre engine it's a yellow handle at the back left of the engine, low down. Not sure for the 2.4, probably similar. It should be light red, transparent.[/quote]
              Andy
              http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

[

Never actually drive on a hard surface in 4WD by the way, you'll damage the transfer box.

Unless it is a 3rd Gen where it matter not!

So much a better idea the 3rd Gen...
                Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

The 4 wheel drive on a 2nd gen can be checked on the road so long as you are on a straight bit of road, push the button check the light comes on then push the button again to disengage it.
                  I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Cool, so that light cant come on unless the 4 wheel drive is engadged correctly.

Thanks for all this info, I quite like the 2nd one of the links you included, right up my ally, I like them a bit more agricultural if I can. Is there much difference between a 2nd Gen and a 3rd?

Is the economy better, spec vastly supirior, drive better etc??

So if I am going in straight line, and not tanking it then engadging the 4WD is cool?

On the Surf I used to have the 4WD was engaged via a traditional mini stick for high and low ratio, is this now different on the newer models, it is just a flick of a switch now?

Nic

Comment

Mine will be in the 'for sale' section when Koi has a minute, as will the 3.0 of the guy who wants to buy mine!

Mine is fully prepped and fully serviced, as the guys on here who know it will tell you, though it might be a bit more 'hard core' than you need to get you to your fishing places etc.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Dude,

I tried to PM you but am a nebie on here and cant see where it is to message ya so Ill do it on here for the world to see! lol

What do you mean with 'to hardcore' The chunkier and more 'hardcore' the better, I love the way they look. But at the end of the day if its all modded up then it is going to cost me a fortune to insure unless I simply dont tell them. Second is that 90% of the driving I will do in it will be on the road commuting etc - if the 'hardcore-ness' (if thats even a word) effects the economy too much? As I said before I am skintish, so cant afford to be filling it with deisal every 10 minutes! I was under the impression, big tyres etc decreased economy levels?

What model/engine size etc is it, and also for the fella who wants to sell his 3L, if you are about get in touch because I am looking to buy in the coming few weeks...

Ps. What sort of mileage should I be getting out of a full tank in a 3L TD 2nd Gen on a typical run not round town?

Comment

I insure with Adrian Flux, all mods disclosed and made no difference to the premium. The guy told me mods to engine would incurr a change. Costs me a shade under £400 fully comp, full NCD and no claims protected.

regarding economy - well, they aren't economical in the first place. Mine's on 33" BFG ATs (generally regarded as the best AT you can buy) and mpg is around the norm of 23-25.

There's loads of pics on the forum of my truck as it stands, and you'll see the spec and some pics when my ad is made live - hopefully soon!

Basically though, its a 3.0TD 2nd gen with 5" lift, big tyres, snorkel etc and pretty much all the mods you can do with a mortal sized bank balance!

Comment

LOL sounds awesome mate, but you may well be right, I guess as a general run around with only a minimal ammount of off roading it may be a little to 'hardcore' god Im 6ft 2 and 20 stone and I sound like a poof! lol

Maybe the fella that wants yours has a 3L that I can buy from him!

Comment

He is selling a 3.0, and would like mine, so if we can sort something, that would work too!

I think he's waiting for his ad to go live too...

If you want to ask him about it, it's 'oneidadan' you need to contact.

Comment

Working...
                              X