Flat Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Batteries

Went to pick up my truck after new heater matrix install last weekend.
    Got in to go but batteries were flat. Asked my mechanic if he could jump start me. He did but said my batteries were knackered as he had had the engin running for ages while checking out my water system for other problems/leaks and that they should have plenty of charge. He also said that there was quite a bit of dodgy wiring behind the dash that he had had to sort out.
    Thing is, it has never let me down before whatever the weather. so I didnt think the batteries could both have failed. Charged them both up and away it went, no probs. One week later and it failed to start without warning while in town. Got a jump start to get me home.
    Charged one up overnight, Had somewhere to go in the morning but thought there would be enough wack to get me started. NO.
    Charged other battery and left first one in car.
    Connected second battery this morning and still no go.
    Possibilities
    a) Both batteries are goosed.
    b)Short circuit from dodgy connection after dash was replaced draining batteries.
    c)Alternator problem but unlikely.

Could be that as I am charging one battery the other one is draining while connected in car.
    I still think one charged battery should start it though as its only one battery that starts it when I get a jump start.
    Is it possible for both my batteries to fail simultaneously when I have never had a problem with starting before.
    In space no one can hear you scream

try charging one while the other is out of truck, what i do is bring down to my motor factor, he has a discharge tester to check batteries, need to be charged for this.... might be knackered batteries alright....

Comment

Cheers Big Bob. Got both out of the truck now. Will charge one today and one tonight then fit them both in the morning.
      If iy then starts does that mean that they are dicharging while connected and therefore there but be a short?. Will try and get them to a motor factors for testing.

Comment

could be a constant draw on the batteries and they are nearly stuffed and its just enough to drain off the last bit,.... i would definitely get a discharge test done on them 2 second job and it will show if you have damaged cells, have you checked the fluid levels in the batteries???

might need to top up with DE-IONISED water....

try Here
        & here

Comment

yeah, water levels were down a bit and I topped them both up before charging last weekend. It was a bit dark but i dont think they were down below the plate levels. I will charge them today and have them tested before I try and start the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo View Post
            Cheers Big Bob. Got both out of the truck now. Will charge one today and one tonight then fit them both in the morning.
            If iy then starts does that mean that they are dicharging while connected and therefore there but be a short?. Will try and get them to a motor factors for testing.
            just fit one and try it , if it is a no go try the other one , it will start and run fine on one bettery .
            if you fit both and one is duff and kill the good one you will never know which on is bad.
            john
            i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

Cheers John, will do that as soon as I have had them tested. Once I have the test results and then try them one at a time I should have a good Idea whats wrong. Just hope its not a wiring fault, that could take forever to find.

Comment

Both batteries tested as not hoilding charge. One was very poor the other starting to fail. I have bought 2 new ones and hope thats an end to it.

Comment

they're linked in parallel, so charging one will charge the other.
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

As a matter of interest, how much did 2 new batteries set you back, and how big are they? (amperage wise that is!)
                    Some where on here, I saw a post that said Toyota were actually quite competitive on price.

Comment

Originally posted by swampy View Post
                      As a matter of interest, how much did 2 new batteries set you back, and how big are they? (amperage wise that is!)
                      Some where on here, I saw a post that said Toyota were actually quite competitive on price.
                      £99,00 + £8.00 for the 2 new post conections I needed. The old ones wouldnt tighten on enough. Not sure about the current rating, bought what they had but they are the most reputable motor electricians in town so they will have sold me the right gear. To dark and to fed up of messing with it to go outside and look. But it fired up rapid style when I tried it. Started quicker than ever before, soon as I turned the key and it hasnt run for 3 days.

Saw these yesterday at £65.00 for 68Ah batteries for the surf or the Hilux pickup was £70.00 for a 80+ Ah battery. Prices inc, vat and delivery Seemed reasonable.
                      www.advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by swampy View Post

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...t=part+numbers

Post number two gives you the toyota part numbers for both batteries (left and right hand) and therefore saves you going through any shat with the parts dept . Just give them the numbers they tell you the price and availability!
                        (did this recently £139 the pair BTW)
                        An awful lot of dealers seam to give surf owners the run around cos they're imports, fortunately my local mob (Yeomans Eastbourne) are brilliant and will always come up with ways to help (includind checking this website since i gave them the address)

new batt's makes a heck of a difference to mine

Alan
                        www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X