3rd Gen Towing weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Towing weight

Probably been asked 1 million times,but..................... ..

Can anyone tell me what the max weight i can pull with my Auto Turd Gen??

Thanks
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

as far as i know it can legally tow 2.5t as i am thinking of one for towing the trailer with a surf on legally as i may just may be about 100kg's overweight with the 2nd gen.Mind you my trailer is a 500kg unladen ifor williams and a max laden weight of 2.5t
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks Stormy,if i get stopped i'll tell em you said it was ok

Comment

Originally posted by smiffy View Post
        Thanks Stormy,if i get stopped i'll tell em you said it was ok

I know i was chatting to TonyN a couple of weeks back and he was saying that a 3rd gen can legally tow a 2nd gen so i took it that 2.5t would be legal for the 3rd gen as it would give me 200kg spare weight with a surf on the trailer

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post

I know i was chatting to TonyN a couple of weeks back and he was saying that a 3rd gen can legally tow a 2nd gen so i took it that 2.5t would be legal for the 3rd gen as it would give me 200kg spare weight with a surf on the trailer
          I've always understood the maximum weight you are permitted to tow, must not exceed that of the vehicle towing or that as designated by the vehicle manufacturer, whichever is the lower weight...
          (Commercial vehicles have different regulations.)
          Last edited by TOYOTATONY; 27 January 2010, 00:33.

Comment

Originally posted by TOYOTATONY View Post
            I've always understood the maximum weight you are permitted to tow, must not exceed that of the vehicle towing or that as designated by the vehicle manufacturer, whichever is the lower weight...
            (Commercial vehicles have different regulations.)
            that dosn't work cos a 90" defender can tow 3500kg, but certainly dosn't weigh that much.

a 3rd gen is virtually a LWB Land Cruiser Coolorado, and these can tow 2700kg.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
              that dosn't work cos a 90" defender can tow 3500kg, but certainly dosn't weigh that much.

As I posted a couple of weeks ago my book says 2800Kgs
              Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Guess I'd better get genned up on this stuff again then. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Because the 3rd gen does not come plated with axle weights or MAM the maximum tow weight should not exceed the kerb weight of the vehicle, the problem is because there is no equivalent vehicle available in Europe unlike the 2nd gen which could use 4runner data.
                  Yes the floorpan and steering data from the Colarado was used for the model report unfortunately due to the different body design Vosa wont accept Colarado/Prado chassis data.
                  Last edited by steved; 27 January 2010, 15:19.
                  ionic SURFactant

Comment

How the fook can a 2.5td defender pull 3500Kg but the obviously more powerful 3 Ltr td surf can only manage around 2500kg?
                    I dinnae get it.

Comment

Originally posted by fonecrusher1 View Post
                      How the fook can a 2.5td defender pull 3500Kg but the obviously more powerful 3 Ltr td surf can only manage around 2500kg?
                      I dinnae get it.
                      2200kg for a UK 4Runner according to some dealers, 1500kg according to others and every US petrol 4Runner seems to be 1500kg as well.....

we're talking legally, not actually...

I did read somehwere its what the handbrake will hold on a certain gradent, and the 2nd Gen does have a lousy handbrake. but it may be 'internet B/S'.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

2200kg for a UK 4Runner according to some dealers, 1500kg according to others and every US petrol 4Runner seems to be 1500kg as well.....

we're talking legally, not actually...

I did read somehwere its what the handbrake will hold on a certain gradent, and the 2nd Gen does have a lousy handbrake. but it may be 'internet B/S'.
                        I read somewhere (I think it was a vehicle handbook) that the stanped figure on the VIN is what the manufacturer claims the vehicle will pull up a 1 in 3 gradient.
                        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

so.......................what can a tow?

All i want to do is tow this on a trailer!!!

Oh and maybe a quad bike and 2 trials bikes!!!

Comment

Hell yea your able to tow then no probs

Comment

It also depends on whether the trailer is braked or not. As the V5 does not have the max gross weight on it, perhaps you could get away with towing a 2.5 metre trailer or caravan on the road. At present there is legislation being proposed to allow this to happen before the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                              X