Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New with a question.

Hi people,

I am looking at geting a surf to replace my much loved (but now too small) Celica.

I have a question that I have not been able to get an anwser to. Acording to WIKI the size of a Celica is the same as a Surf (give or take an inch) This is important because it has to go into my garage. Some that I have seen have the spare wheel on a swing arm on the back. How much does this add to the length of the vehicle or is that included in the documented length? How easy would it be to remove this swing arm and keep the wheel in the boot to save the space? Also - would it be realistic to take the wheel off and leave the swing arm on - would this save much from the length? I figure this might be an option. Normaly have it in the boot but when I got on a multi day trip - pop it back on as it will not need to fit into the garage.

Same question for the bull bars seen on the front of many - though I guess this depends on the bull bars fitted.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, and welcome. I've found the swing arm on the back takes up quite alot of room, but I need to open my tailgate whilst the truck is in the garage. I had to take the bullbars off the front to give myself a bt more room in there. Just as a rough guide my garage is 6m long and if I push my surf right to the front of the garage then I just have enough room to open the swing arm and the tailgate and have a little room at the back to get between the open spare wheel carrier and the wall of the house.
    I can measure them for you if you like?

Comment

The simple solution is don't buy one with a rear mounted spare !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

With a spare wheel and the full bullbar on mine i have about 2" spare in my garage.I think you will be better off getting a truck with the underslug spare if the length is going to be an issue.I'll see if i can find the proper dimensions of the surf and post back for you
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
          With a spare wheel and the full bullbar on mine i have about 2" spare in my garage.I think you will be better off getting a truck with the underslug spare if the length is going to be an issue.I'll see if i can find the proper dimensions of the surf and post back for you
          Ah - I didn't that the rear mounted wheel was an option. I thoght iw was just the way they were.

Now all I need to do it find a nice one

Comment

I know of a 3.0l down here for about 17-1800.He will mot it for that money but will sell for 1400 as it is.He says all thats needed is 2 cv boots for the mot and also there would be an advisory on 2 tyres
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Bull bars come off, and you dont really need them unless you're regularly ramming stuff.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

have took wheel carrier of {only bolts holding it on}and stuck wheel flat in back under dog box.you will find that the rear wheel carrier warning light will stay on on dash.make a plastic shroud to keep it pushed in.you can screw it down with screws holding switch in place.

Comment

So it looks like the size is ok. Only problem is the MPG so I am going to be looking for an LPG converted one.

e-bay here I come.

Comment

Originally posted by Everso View Post
                    So it looks like the size is ok. Only problem is the MPG so I am going to be looking for an LPG converted one.

e-bay here I come.
                    V6 is rare, so an LPG one will be rarer!!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                      Bull bars come off, and you dont really need them unless you're regularly ramming stuff.
                      Or you desparately need to kill a child at 5mph.

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
                        V6 is rare, so an LPG one will be rarer!!
                        Tell me about it.

I am in no great hurry so will just have to wait I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Everso View Post
                          Tell me about it.

I am in no great hurry so will just have to wait I guess.
                          There is a 4Runner for sale near me in France. Advertised as good condition in and out. Dont think it has LPG mind. 3lt V6 L reg Taxed and tested, 120kmiles.
                          Advertised at €1500 but its RHD UK registered so probably get it for much less.
                          I need to come back to collect a surf (am buying Ross old truck nr Darlington) so maybe do a deal and I can bring it over.
                          Will see if I can get some pictures and more info if you are interested?

Did you manage to find out how long one is will front Abar and rear wheel on?

Rich

Comment

Hello Everso bud, is that sunderland tyne & wear? If so, i'm about 5 mins away from you!
                            You can give me a shout if you like when it comes to anything surf related.

Comment

Wow - what a friendly bunch round here .

First off - thanks for all the replies and help. What I has fond so far is

It will not fit in the garage with bull bars and a rear mounted wheel. The bull bars is not an issue - little time with a spanner should take care of that. Rear wheel is a problem so I need an underslung one rt will have to remove the whole swing arm.

Second - LPG conveted surfs are a rare beast indeed. Now this supprised me. Some other vehicles like Jeeps and Shoguns - there are plenty around so I wonder why this is. The cost of getting a petrol one and converting it my self is out of my budget so thanks to all who know where a petrol one of for sale is hiding - but I am afraid that will not work

Finaly - yes - this is the Sunderland in tyne and wear - thank you for the offer of help if needed, I might be able to take you up on that if I ever manage to track something down.

Everso

Comment

Working...
                              X