Brake Horse Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, i forgot about that!

hehe, how can the bobbox not work? it just shovels more fuel in, thats all a diesel needs to go faster. I though he had a bigger issue with the fuel treatments.

Bobbox aside, DB's injectors have always been top notch.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

hehe, how can the bobbox not work? it just shovels more fuel in, thats all a diesel needs to go faster. I though he had a bigger issue with the fuel treatments.

i bet his Mrs says that aswell..
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

how do i find this "diesel Bob" then go get some prices on new injectors. are there any "how to" threads or tech docs on the forum, just to see whats involved with fitting a new set.
        thanks
        nigel
        Surf K Reg LN130 2.4 AUTO

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          If the BHP is down, which it almost certainly will be, what are you gonna do about it?

Maybe a good service and some new / cleaned injectors will give you some of that back without the rolling road telling you what you already figure?

The tranny cooler is a great mod to do for towing. Keeps coolant temperatures in check. Have a search on that one. Its not difficult or expensive.
          Not so much of what could i do about it as finding out how close to NORm my truck is actually running. The what i could do about it would come later. As ive no one with a surf living close to me ive nothing to compare my trucks performance against. When it comes to towing, it may well be doing as good as it gets, and the struggling on hills bit is due to the wife overloading the caravan. Maybe im asking to much out of a K reg, the caravan weighs 1500kg before you start loading. Then 3 adults and a 12yr old in the truck while towing.
          A change of injectors sounds a good idea but where from, how much, difficult to fit ?. Got a pet mechanic whos forever screwing up his laptop, so if its not to big a job, ill scratch his back if he ll scratch mine.
          Theres prob loads that could be done to it but at what point do i say "thats about as good as itll tow".
          Im open to anyone whos knowledable within 40 or 50 miles of Merthyr Tydfil to cast an experienced eye over it. and maybe take it for a spin.
          nigel
          Last edited by nigel129; 20 January 2010, 07:15.
          Surf K Reg LN130 2.4 AUTO

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

Nah, my issue was with the way he was trying to sell them on his website.

"More power! Better mpg! Lower Emissions!!" kind of thing. It was a long time ago, maybe now he admits 'it squirts more fuel in' rather than talking like he was some kind of god. He really was talking bobbox! With an old hunk of pig iron like the Surf's engines, you can have one of the three at any one time. All three just aint going to happen without a lot more work than just fannying with the fuel metering.

He also used to promote it with pseudo-science claptrap and testimonials from friends, errr, I mean 'customers', like diesel treatment purveyors tend to do.

I'm sure his injectors are just fine, I'll see what his prices are like
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

you could probably get all 3 with the sacrifice of reliability...
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I'm guessing your thinking of winding the boost to 50lbs and carrying a boot full of head gaskets?

You need fuel to match the air though, or what you can acheive is limited.

Comment

Anyone know anything about the diesel LPG conversions ?

Apparently using 70% diesel, 30% LPG gives you a more complete burn and increase in power. (I read somewhere you then de-tune back to original power levels to gain in economy)

Rob.

Comment

There was a couple of threads about that on here years ago. LPG fumigation they call it. I didn't think it was anything like as high as 30% though.

Sounds like lots of faff really. You'd be better off with a hydrogen generator under the bonnet powered by a 450A alternator...

Comment

Yeah - I got the 30% figure off the website I linked to. It seems feasible to me, but so does water injection or intercooling. The only thing that puts me off these things is that I'd expect a complete remap of the fueling system to make the most of it and that starts to get too spendy.

Comment

Propane assist, its cool, like a Nitros shot for deisels. But I've read you eat brake pads as you don't get much engine braking (this was from a Bus company report I read...)

I think Medieval Dave, or someone else who did the whacking people with swords and wearing chainmail fitted one, and was happy with it.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                        X