steep hills ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steep hills ?????

Just pondering ,the village i live in is at the bottom of two long steep hills(seem never ending),which are followed by a few more.Having owned the surf for a while now and used the o/d button then the ect button for the hill climbs just wondering in everybody elses opinion which is best for the hill climbs.The ect button seems to use more diesel then the o/d.
    Me........... NEVER

When I'm playing in North Yorkshire (we have friends near Sinnington), I don't bother with any of the switches. If possible a good run up helps after that just try to keep the revs between 2000 and 2500, and let the gearbox do the work.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

not possible for good run up one has roundabout at start the other is a sharp right then left they are the worst ones. the ones leading out of village are about 400yards from my drive.
      Me........... NEVER

Comment

There are some seriously steep hills where my friend lives and my Surf goes up them without any problem... no need to use the ECT or turn off the O/D.... but then mine is not an underpowered little 2.4
        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Turning off OD just has the same effect as kick-down - it'll do that automatically if you stand on the accelerator. I never see the need for the switches as kick-down always seems to deliver enough power if and when you really need it - steep hills, overtaking etc.
          Andy
          http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Must admit don't use the O/D or ECT on the climb up to the chimneys at Rosedale or on the roman road over at Stape. Or are you on that switchback climb near Bedlam ? that can be interesting when icy !
            Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

wel i think its me being a bit of a girl didnt want to break anything so used the buttons,Dont know why i didnt have problem using kickdown on my omega been out today and didnt press buttons.It is a learning process owning a surf getting, there now i think
              Me........... NEVER

Comment

Originally posted by John h View Post
                Must admit don't use the O/D or ECT on the climb up to the chimneys at Rosedale or on the roman road over at Stape. Or are you on that switchback climb near Bedlam ? that can be interesting when icy !
                I did the chimneys on a motorcycle once. A little 250 2 stroke.

I remeber being lent right over keeping the revs high so she was in the powerband, great fun. The best bit was when I got back to our friends they asked if I'd enjoyed going up the chimneys, they'd been walking at the top and heard my engine revs from the base all the way up.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

The ECT button has nothing to do with more power.
                  It just holds the gears longer
                  私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                    The ECT button has nothing to do with more power.
                    It just holds the gears longer
                    ...which in turn keeps the revs higher, which will more quickly deliver more power if and when it's needed.
                    Andy
                    http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
                      There are some seriously steep hills where my friend lives and my Surf goes up them without any problem... no need to use the ECT or turn off the O/D.... but then mine is not an underpowered little 2.4
                      I have to brake when driving uphills, just to slow down a bit!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        I have to brake when driving uphills, just to slow down a bit!!
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
                          ...which in turn keeps the revs higher, which will more quickly deliver more power if and when it's needed.
                          Im assuming you mean torque, rather that power.
                          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Remember that over reving it can overheat the transmission fluid. Yes I do drive the underpowered 2.4.
                            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                              I did the chimneys on a motorcycle once. A little 250 2 stroke.

I remeber being lent right over keeping the revs high so she was in the powerband, great fun. The best bit was when I got back to our friends they asked if I'd enjoyed going up the chimneys, they'd been walking at the top and heard my engine revs from the base all the way up.
                              Let me guess, a RD250LC Yamaha? they were great little bikes!
                              Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Working...
                              X