Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease - What Kind?

Morning All

Having taken recently taken possession of Poppy's much loved surf I thought it was time to grease her up!

Can anyone tell me what type of grease I should be using? Would a multi purpose grease like this be suitable? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165469

This will be my first time getting my hands dirty so any tips would be much appreciated.

Found the following info in another post.

Wheel bearings
    Lithium base wheel bearing grease. NLGI No. 2

Is this suitable?
    Castrol LM Grease

Ball joints
    Molybdenum disulfide lithium base chassis grease NLGI No. 1 or No. 2

Front drive shaft
    Molybdenum disulfide lithium base chassis grease NLGI No. 1 or No. 2

Is this suitable?
    Comma CV & Lith-Moly Grease

Does anyone have any idea how much I'll need? Will a tub of each be enough?

Cheers
    James

Comment

Looks like you've done some excellent research there.

To answer your questions...
      Yes.
      Yes.
      A tub/tube of each will be sufficient.

Comment

I bought a Sealey 3 way fill grease gun recently, but it won't pump grease through the flexibile nozzle. If you unscrew the nozzle, then it pumps ok, but it's as though it doesn't have the pressure to pump grease through the tube. I got the right grease so it's not too thick for the gun or anything like that. Anyone else had problems with these?

P.S. Whereabouts in Berkshire are you James?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get on it over the weekend.

Originally posted by Don Logan View Post

Out in the sticks between Reading and Newbury. You?

Comment

Sounds like you may be near the Slug .....

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

I bought a Sealey 3 way fill grease gun recently, but it won't pump grease through the flexibile nozzle. If you unscrew the nozzle, then it pumps ok, but it's as though it doesn't have the pressure to pump grease through the tube. I got the right grease so it's not too thick for the gun or anything like that. Anyone else had problems with these?

Do you use the pre-filled tubes, I have found these clean and easy to use, not much pressure required to pump out the grease once it's attached to nipple.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I'm in Crowthorne, between Bracknell and Sandhurst.

I bought a cartridge but it didn't fit properly so i scooped the grease out of it and loaded the gun that way. ###### annoying as i can see no reason for it not to work.

Comment

The rubber cup in the grease gun needs to be a different way round depending on whether you use a cartridge or fill it from a tub.

I use cartridges as I've had no joy filling them from the little tubs.

Try Earnest Doe for the moly cartidges - Q8 rembrandt moly. Most motor factors do the normal type.

Rob.

Comment

make sure you have placed it hard on the nipple, some nipples are hard, to place the nozzle on, keep pumping dont stop , but i have never tried with a flexi nozzle
                    JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
                      make sure you have placed it hard on the nipple, some nipples are hard, to place the nozzle on, keep pumping dont stop , but i have never tried with a flexi nozzle
                      Now you're talking dirty, have you tried K.Y.???

Gman.
                      If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Hi All

Thanks for the advice. I had a go at the weekend and definitely got to know the truck a bit better (I also had to had to change both headlight bulbs)

The only problem I had was with the Spider joints. I pumped in a few squirts but the grease didn't come out of the overflows as it did with the others. Is this normal or should I keep pumping?

Cheers
                        James

Comment

Hi there Jame's , boy you must be keen to be ouy there under
                          the old girl in this weather Odd both headlights have gone ,
                          you can get to head lights from the front if you got a real good
                          small pozi drive , saves going from the back .
                          Boy have I missed her with all this snow and woking earlie's
                          been a good hour walk in to the depot as I can't use
                          or I be in one of these Ha ha .
                          You getting to get used to her little ways ?

Chris
                          GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Hi Chris

I managed to get most of her into the garage so it wasn't so bad I was driving on one lamp for a couple of days so I wonder if that blew the second.

I'd have been off work for at least a week without her!!

Comment

Confused my boy , saw the surf parked up in Tesco's , thought
                              he would come in and tap me up for some cash ! ha ha till I told
                              him that it was not mine any more . So if you get approached by
                              a scruffy looking "postie" asking for money you know who it is !

Off on them 17's tomorrow, what a pleasure to look warward too !

Catch up soon Chris
                              GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Working...
                              X