Heads and tales ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads and tales ?

I've read a lot about heads here, especialy the 2.4 2nd gens.

I seem to remember reading somewhere in all those threads that some heads where recalled and replaced by toyota, but I can't seem to find it now.
    If a head has been replace by toyota, then is there a way to tell?

I have my original documents with my surf, but of course they are all in japanese, any thoughts or urban myth?

peace
    cal
    Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

I think it was more of the last of the 2.4's built had the 2.8 3L heads fitted as Toyota realised there was a fault on the design of the original 2.4 heads so the last of the 1993 and 94 2.4's were all fitted with these other heads.I don't think there was ever a recall on the heads to be swapped over tho
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

The petrol V6s were recalled. Don't think the 2.4s were.

Comment

Thanks Stormforce; Mudskipper had a look at my surf when he came to see my band in Llandudno, he thought it was a little newer than the reg doc suggested, but that was cosmeticaly rather than under the bonnet, probabley wistful thinking on my part hehe.

Would the engine number give a clue as to engine date?

peace
        cal

Comment

what I have found with the modded head is when they start from cold they tend to run a bit lumpy for the first few seconds where as with the unmodded head they start up clean straigt away that is assuming that all the heater plugs are working as they should.
          dont know why they do this weather its a different compression ratio on the modded head or not they just do and I have never been able to find out why.

Comment

Thats internesting thanks cfrizzy, my'n has been doing that since the cold started to bite here, little bit of right foot and it runs smooth in seconds.
            I figured it was just the -4 ish we've been getting here.

peace
            cal

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
              The petrol V6s were recalled. Don't think the 2.4s were.

Yes, but not because of any fault with the heads... it was because they started using asbestos free head gaskets that were not suitable.
              Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Funny that, I changed my head just before this cold spell and it's very lumpy on start, I find I need to floor the pedal whilst cranking. All the heater parts are working fine, prior to head failure it was an instant starter but made more smoke than the sinking Bismark, now its quite clean. Head was a budget one from Milners, ok so far.

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
                  Yes, but not because of any fault with the heads... it was because they started using asbestos free head gaskets that were not suitable.
                  Paranoid! I was just saying the recall was on the V6s.

There is also an issue with the exhaust from one of the cylinders being too hot but that's just one of those things.

Comment

Working...
                  X