Rear window stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window stuck

Hi, my rear window has packed up. I can still hear the motor turning, but it doesn't engage the window mechanism. It died when almost fully open and with a mate's help i was able to pull it up by hand. Now I can't get the window down in order to open the tailgate. Is it possible to get to the insides of the tailgate with the window closed?

Thanks.

yep crawl in there,pop carpet off,undo bolts on metal plate,then undo the motor bolts pop it out,gently push window down,fix/or fit another motor,joobs a good un,while its out grease up the mech,clean runners out

Comment

Or, click on the word....SEARCH..... towards the top of the screen.

Comment

You don't seem to be having much luck this week Don.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Ouch, did that but then when i looked at the results I just thought 'Hmmm, I can't be arsed with reading through these... i'll just ask. That way i don't have to do too much reading.'

Thanks Andy.

Yeah Si, it did however pass the MOT with no advisories after sitting outside my house for a year though, so at least that went well.
          Last edited by Don Logan; 12 January 2010, 22:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Logan View Post
            Ouch, did that but then when i looked at the results I just thought 'Hmmm, I can't be arsed with reading through these... i'll just ask. That way i don't have to do too much reading.'

Thanks Andy.

Yeah Si, it did however pass the MOT with no advisories after sitting outside my house for a year though, so at least that went well.
            Not bad then to say its been stood, only niggley bit to do & your sorted.
            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

When my window got stuck I had to climb in the back and get the motor out. Once out the problem with it was a circlip had rusted and broke off. I never had a new one to put back on I just cleaned out the motor and packed it with grease and that held it together. That was about a year ago.

Comment

I finally got the chance to look at it in the light today and got the tailgate open.
                I need to get that back panel off of the exterior side of the tailgate in order to get at the motor and see why it's not turning the two cogs.
                It doesn't seem to pull off and i couldn't see where or how it was fixed onto the tailgate as the window and it's mechanisms were in the way. Even with the window up and the tailgate open, it was hard to see how the panel was fixed. Then it started getting dark so i had to stop. Has anyone had this panel off before?

Comment

you will need to either take the motor out by using an 8mm spanner or take the mechanism out and then take the motor off of that when its out.
                  That panel won't come off that easy even with the mechanis out the way either
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hmmm, will it be possible to see why the motor's not engaging the cogs from this angle? I removed the 10mm bolts holding the frame of the mechanism, but all the other stuff was preventing it from all coming out. I'll see what happens when i get the chance to spend some time on it in the light. It's annoying cos it you can hear the motor turning, so it doesn't seem to be buggered, it's just not engaging the mechanism. Or could it be that the motor is engaging the mechanism but it's burnt out and doesn't have the big hairy balls needed to turn the cogs? In which case just chucking in a new motor would sort it.

Comment

you will need to disconnect the handle rod and the lock rod.Also the 2 cables for the release locks and all the electrical plugs thats there.You then need to shunt the mech side to side in order to get the 4 fixing tabs of the mechanism inside the tailgate and for the rollers on each arm to come out of the runners on the bottom of the window then the mechanism will lift right out
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

when my rear window stopped going up & down it was due to the steel/rubber cush drive bit coming de-bonded. I replaced just the motor without taking the whole mechanism apart - you need nimble fingers tho'. I'm sure Richard (Stormforce) will have replacement parts when you find what you need.
                        Where abouts in Berks are you? If you're anywhere near Maidenhead & need a hand give me a shout.

Comment

I'm in Crowthorne mate, near Bracknell. I may take you up on the offer once i've had a good look at it all. Cheers for that.

Comment

Working...
                          X