Surfs vs Land cruisers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfs vs Land cruisers

Sorry for the newbie question but what are the main differences between the Surfs and Land cruisers apart from the body??
    Why chose a surf over a cruiser?

the price

Comment

So do they share the same engine box diffs etc?
      Sure I have seen something about Surfs not having LSD's

Comment

Originally posted by rbaz View Post
        So do they share the same engine box diffs etc?
        Sure I have seen something about Surfs not having LSD's
        depends on the models your looking at,early lc's have the same 2.4 as surf,later ones have the 3.td same as surf,or they have the bigger 4.td,most 3rd gen surfs have lsds,as do most lc's,which surf and lc are u comparing?

Comment

Originally posted by darkdezigns View Post
          depends on the models your looking at,early lc's have the same 2.4 as surf,later ones have the 3.td same as surf,or they have the bigger 4.td,most 3rd gen surfs have lsds,as do most lc's,which surf and lc are u comparing?
          2nd gen and Land cruisers from similar year.
          So the 3rd gen have front and rear LSD's?

Comment

Do mean a landcruiser Colorado or the much bigger Amazon? Theres a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by fonecrusher1 View Post
              Do mean a landcruiser Colorado or the much bigger Amazon? Theres a big difference.
              Both really.

Comment

LC Colorado has the same running gear as the 3rd gen - LC is not as good looking (in my view).

Comment

Well a landcruiser LWB Colorado has the same chassis & running gear as a 3rd gen surf, the 4wd system is slightly different in that the surf can be used in 2wd mode at the touch of a button & thats a huge bonus. Apart from that their very similar vehicles & both good. I own a 3rd gen surf.
                  The Landcruiser Amazon is a huge beast of a thing. The 80 series (1990-97) comes with a variety of big engines; 4.0/4.5 petrol & 4.2td/ non turbo so you should consider the running costs of these monsters.

Theres a few people on here who own both vehicles so im sure they'll be along to provide you with much more accurate information.

Comment

The Colorado is the same as the Prado (Import). Both have the same running gear as the 3rd gen Surf.
                    Some Prados have factory, rear diff locks (E-locker)

Prados/Colorados look more european (uglier) than the 3rd gen Surf.

Some Surfs have LSDs, but they are harder to find. The VIN plate will state if a LSD is fitted.
                    The factory fitted LSD isn't very good really plus they get worse with age.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys
                      I didn't want to get a surf and then find out the Landcruiser may have been the better option due to diffs LSD's etc
                      I too prefer the look of the Surfs but been imports are harder for me to register.
                      Did they make a 3rd gen 4runner have only seen 2nd gen ones
                      Do the 4runners have any differences to the surfs?

Sorry for all the questions am new to off road 4x4s

Comment

Land Cruiser 80 series 4.2 Turbo Diesel...
                        Difflocks frond, back and centre....

goes anywhere straight out of the box....

My old surf did have a LSD...

But all these questions depend on what you are going to do with it and your budget...
                        One day at the time I guess..

Comment

The Prados/Colorados might have a Land Cruiser badge on the back but.........
                          for me the “real” Land Cruisers are the big 80’s 100’s and the likes of the 75 Troop carriers along with some of the classic FJ’s
                          I think one of the main differences is the roof height, the Surf is quite low compared to a Land Cruiser.

I’m looking at various LC’s on Autotrader at the moment, rather like the 4.7 V8 Amazons.... I have decided that I must have auto, cruise control and leather.
                          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Thanks for the info guys

Never had a 4x4 before but like to think I will use it on and off road.
                            We cut our own wood in winter on a friends farm and always need a tractor to pull us and the wood out again. Occasionally I need to tow a big trailer and would be nice to have something I could recover my car or parents van if needed. And of course snow has been a big problem and hopefully we will see more next year.
                            Budget wise looks like a good 3.0l 2nd gen or possibly a 3rd gen if I can find a good buy.
                            An Amazon would be nice but maybe a bit big and thirsty not to mention the purchase cost.

Thanks again for the info

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              The Colorado is the same as the Prado (Import). Both have the same running gear as the 3rd gen Surf.
                              Some Prados have factory, rear diff locks (E-locker)

Prados/Colorados look more european (uglier) than the 3rd gen Surf.

Some Surfs have LSDs, but they are harder to find. The VIN plate will state if a LSD is fitted.
                              The factory fitted LSD isn't very good really plus they get worse with age.
                              Colorado has rear E-locker as standard, most Prado have rear LSD NOT e-locker

and colorado has no 2wd option, so running gear is a bit different, as LC has permnant 4wd with torsen centre diff, high-range locked, and lowrnage locked
                              Landcruiser Colorado
                              Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
                              X