back to the garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back to the garage

Hello everyone. My surf is going back to the garage on Monday to get the starter moter checked, the garage is not sure where to get solenoid contacts from, any one know where to order them, and part no,s etc??.

Also I have only had it for 8 weeks, before I picked it up it had a brand new radiator fitted as the old one had very small holes at the top just under the cap. now the brand new one has a very tiny pin hole in it, the dealer has been very good about it and is going to sort it under the warranty,
    What causes this is it a faulty rad or are they poorly made?
    Thanks for any info. Cheers Kevin.
    95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

Originally posted by bear
    Hello everyone. My surf is going back to the garage on Monday to get the starter moter checked, the garage is not sure where to get solenoid contacts from, any one know where to order them, and part no,s etc??.

Also I have only had it for 8 weeks, before I picked it up it had a brand new radiator fitted as the old one had very small holes at the top just under the cap. now the brand new one has a very tiny pin hole in it, the dealer has been very good about it and is going to sort it under the warranty,
    Sorry Kevin - cant answer any of your questions, but I hope it works out well for you on Monday!
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Solonoid contacts repair kit can be sought from Toyota dealers. As for the rad it may have been a faulty one, compare against the rad say in my 1990 its fine (thats blown it now) so I would say it was maybe a faulty one.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
        Solonoid contacts repair kit can be sought from Toyota dealers. As for the rad it may have been a faulty one, compare against the rad say in my 1990 its fine (thats blown it now) so I would say it was maybe a faulty one.
        Hello, again, sorry for all the quistions,
        Got the car back today, they fitted another new rad, the other was a faulty one. Checked it when I got home and had to top it up little and noticed that they have not put any coolant in at all , just water.
        Will it run ok with just water for now, or will I need to put coolant in straight away??
        Thanks Kevin.
        95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

Comment

Are you sure that you're using a garage ????

Sounds more like a bunch of John Waynes mates to me !
          Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Hello, again, sorry for all the quistions,
            Got the car back today, they fitted another new rad, the other was a faulty one. Checked it when I got home and had to top it up little and noticed that they have not put any coolant in at all , just water.
            Will it run ok with just water for now, or will I need to put coolant in straight away??
            Thanks Kevin.
            Get straight back to the garage and have them put coolant in. One of the qualities any good coolant has, is it contains corrosion inhibitors, whilst plain water is one of the best causes of corrosion you can find. You should not operate the engine for long with plain water in, you won't kill it straight away or anything drastic, but its far from good practice. Plain water will also be slightly less effective at cooling the engine, something you want to avoid on a Surf for peace of mind.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
              Get straight back to the garage and have them put coolant in. One of the qualities any good coolant has, is it contains corrosion inhibitors, whilst plain water is one of the best causes of corrosion you can find. You should not operate the engine for long with plain water in, you won't kill it straight away or anything drastic, but its far from good practice. Plain water will also be slightly less effective at cooling the engine, something you want to avoid on a Surf for peace of mind.
              Cheers Mate. His reason for not putting any in was the dealer would not pay for the coolant, only payed him to change the rad and put water in. Could not contact the dealer as they were closed, dont really want to make a fuss yet as they have been good up to now.
              Might put some in myself tomorrow, can anyone tell me the best way, should I just drain some water out from the bottom tap then top up with coolant???? or will I have to do a full flush ect.
              Cheers kevin
              95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

Comment

Kevin, you need to ask the guy who did the repair what type of water he put in. If it's straight from the tap then that could cause problems as I've seen something on one of the tech tips on here that you need to use distilled/de-ionised water in the cooling system. I've also seen somewhere that theres about 10 litres all told in the system which should have a 50/50 mix water & antifreeze / coolant, so about 5 litres of coolant needed.

You can either get Toyota's own Longlife coolant (the red stuff) or I've read on here that others have used normal Bluecol or similar, as long as it's rated for all engine types. If the dealer wont play ball, suggest you buy the coolant yourself and either drain out the existing and refill with the 50/50 premixed distilled water/coolant or ask the guy who did the repair to do it for you. Either way, watch out for airlocks. Make sure both heaters are on hot before you drain / refill and check for air in the system. There's a number of posts on this topic on the Forum. Try a search under "radiator" or "cooling".
                Mike G

Comment

Working...
                X