X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still waiting for the graph!
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

and there was me thinking that dimmer switches worked on a variable resistor, reducing the voltage that reaches the lamp!

incidentally, if you stick a diode in your fairy lights, they'll twinkle!

and on the spreader... is the wiring man enough?... this could be causing resistance and heat in the unit.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

The heat is generated wherever the resistance is. No heat in your cables? They're fine.

Never heard of the fairylights thing! It'll be because they're run on AC, so a diode will mean half wave rectification and tiny gaps in the power. Must give that a go
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          The heat is generated wherever the resistance is. No heat in your cables? They're fine.

Never heard of the fairylights thing! It'll be because they're run on AC, so a diode will mean half wave rectification and tiny gaps in the power. Must give that a go
          ANDY REMEMBER TO UNPLUGTHE LIGHTS FIRST

Comment

Could you not wire it direct to the power source and put a dimmer switch in the circuit then you'd have completely variable speeds

Just a whacky thought

Cheers
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Artful_dodger View Post
              Could you not wire it direct to the power source and put a dimmer switch in the circuit then you'd have completely variable speeds

Just a whacky thought

Cheers
              Paul
              Always thought of ya as a bit of a "Roy Wood " Paul

There's always a Payback .. Co ya don't know where n ya never know when !!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                If you take the rated wattage of the motor and divide it by the voltage, that gives you the amprage.

Electrical genius, Andy?
                Hows about Mr. Modesty instead

thats like B.Obama wining the Nobel Peace Prize
                Pop into your local technical college or university electronics department and they will be happy to design and build one for you, all they will want is usually for you to supply parts and allow a student access to do a project write up and maybe spend a day with you when you use it. We used to do stuff like that all the time at uni for local businesses, a donation to the department was optional but did ensure a less than 24hour response next time you have an issue....
                Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Working...
                X