chrome refurb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrome refurb?

anyone know of a firm that does it that doesnt charge the earth,want my wheels redone,but cheapest quote so far is 150 wheel!if thats the case i'll hunt down some split rims

You will have a job finding a chrome plater these days let alont one that will do wheels, except for a very high price, found that out when i wanted some bits done, ended up haveing em nickel plated, the guy told me the nearest was in southampton, cheaper to get some decent alloys and polish em i', afraid, prefer alloy to chrome actually, the shine lasts and they dont go rusty after a couple of months
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

fair point,my wheels dont rustr tho,just flake lol ,any advice on what to go for so i can do same as yours ian?

Comment

Sorry to butt in but i was just going to post on this subject but.......do you think its possible to tidy these ones up to a resonable standard at home (what would you use) or would they need sending off? Still looking for wheels and tyres but money is starting to get a wee bit tight.
        The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

u can tidy them up mate,easiest way to do it is either sand back with wet and dry,1200 grit/800 grit wet,till they look reasnoble the clear laquer or you could try ebay there are "refurb"kits on there,also check in with popeye and or bushwacker as they have both done this to those wheels in the past
          heres the ones i'm trying to sort,they may end up for sale soon....

Comment

Thanks for that will have a search around to see if i can find their threads ... unfortunately for me chrome is pretty much out as im pretty near the sea and have enough trouble keeping rust off the bumper lol Thanks for the info!

Rob
            The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Originally posted by darkdezigns View Post
              fair point,my wheels dont rustr tho,just flake lol ,any advice on what to go for so i can do same as yours ian?
              Dunno mate, the choice of rims is endless, go for what you like, although i prefer alloy, spent a fortune on chrome rims for the buick and the f##kers were rusty within a year, chrome platers seem to have a problem with wheel, not sur why, my first job was for an electro platers but dont ever remember haveing rims come in, plenty of yank bumpers,
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                Dunno mate, the choice of rims is endless, go for what you like, although i prefer alloy, spent a fortune on chrome rims for the buick and the f##kers were rusty within a year, chrome platers seem to have a problem with wheel, not sur why, my first job was for an electro platers but dont ever remember haveing rims come in, plenty of yank bumpers,
                if i find some and were to cross your palms with silver,fancy doing them up for me?baring in mind,there would be no rush and i gotta find some yet lol

Comment

Re

Do what I did!

Strip the crappy laquer off your original alloys with nitromors and polish them!

They will come up like chrome if you put the effort in!

See here!

BEFORE!

DURING

COMPLETE

Pics are a bit muddled up but you get the idea!

If you want a full description of how to do this let me know!

Gary

Original post here:-

Polishing Wheels

I think that Vince (Bushwhacker) polished his factory wheels as well.
                  Last edited by hellmett; 7 December 2009, 23:30.

Comment

they look amazing,but wont work on my three spokes they are flaking,and appear white???underneath

Comment

Originally posted by darkdezigns View Post
                      they look amazing,but wont work on my three spokes they are flaking,and appear white???underneath
                      It's only aluminium oxide!

It will be very easily sanded down to bare aluminium.

Edit, just noticed that yours appear to be chrome plate!

In that case easy, peasy!

I'd just wet & dry them and spray and laquer!

May not get the chrome bling look but a nice gunmetal or silver would look the dogs!

In the summer I'm gonna get me a set of factories from a scrap yard and have a crack at refurbing by spraying and laquering them.

Saw it done on Wheeler Dealers and it didn't look very hard!
                      Last edited by hellmett; 7 December 2009, 23:37.

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett View Post
                        It's only aluminium oxide!

It will be very easily sanded down to bare aluminium.

Edit, just noticed that yours appear to be chrome plate!

In that case easy, peasy!

I'd just wet & dry them and spray and laquer!

May not get the chrome bling look but a nice gunmetal or silver would look the dogs!
                        nooooo i need my chrome,edit i need popeyes wheels lol

Comment

Originally posted by wiggy View Post
                          Sorry to butt in but i was just going to post on this subject but.......do you think its possible to tidy these ones up to a resonable standard at home (what would you use) or would they need sending off? Still looking for wheels and tyres but money is starting to get a wee bit tight.
                          Wiggy,

Thats what my wheels looked like.

The laquer was shot.

You could do what I did or just strip with Nitromors and re-laquer them.

Either way they will come up a treat!

Buy the expensive laquer though cos the cheapie stuff tends to turn yellow.

You be amazed what you will see when the Nitromors does its job!

Lovely shiney, new aluminium!

Looking back now I reckon you could just strip them and polish the bare aluminium with Belgom Alu every month or so to keep the corrosion and oxidation at bay and it would still look great!

Last edited by hellmett; 7 December 2009, 23:47.

Comment

Nice work Hellmett
                            www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X