Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello new boys first post

Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a while now and only just decided that it was time I took part. I have just purchased a Toyota Hilux Surf

I think I got an excellent deal at £7500 it’s a 1992 2.4TD automatic with electric windows air conditioning, central locking, power steering separate radio and cassette player.

The only thing I have noticed is it bangs when I turn to the right.. But the guy who I bought it of said it was ok as they all did that, so I am not worried. Also the radio wont tune very well as I can only get Radio 2, but that does not bother me as I do like Terry Wogan.

I find that when it is in 4 wheel drive it makes a lot of noise at around the 50-60 mph speed. Again the gentleman I got it from said that this is normal on the motorway and that its only surface noise.

The only problem I have at the moment is that it gets very hot inside the car and the engine seems to let off a bit of steam, now if any of you can help me on this I would be most obliged

Thank you
    Last edited by A Primal Nut; 3 June 2004, 14:44.

Originally posted by A Primal Nut
    Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a while now and only just decided that it was time I took part. I have just purchased a Toyota Hilux Surf

I think I got an excellent deal at £7500 it’s a 1992 2.4TD automatic with electric windows air conditioning, central locking, power steering separate radio and cassette player.

The only thing I have noticed is it bangs when I turn to the right.. But the guy who I bought it of said it was ok as they all did that, so I am not worried. Also the radio wont tune very well as I can only get Radio 2, but that does not bother me as I do like Terry Wogan.

Have a look here for greasing the steering stopshttp://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=651, and yes they all do it but the dealer should know how to fix it, you will also need a band expander for the radio.

I find that when it is in 4 wheel drive it makes a lot of noise at around the 50-60 mph speed. Again the gentleman I got it from said that this is normal on the motorway and that its only surface noise.

Never drive on a hard surface with the vehicle in 4wd, only select 4wd when the wheels can slip otherwise this will wind up the transmission.

This will explain it better http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ht=wheel+drive

The only problem I have at the moment is that it gets very hot inside the car and the engine seems to let off a bit of steam, now if any of you can help me on this I would be most obliged

Thank you
    Last edited by andy; 3 June 2004, 15:02.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you
      First off welcome to the madhouse. To answer a few things in the message.

1. If it bangs turning (like a grinding noise on full lock) then it is the steering stops. From new they have a plastic cover but this wears out. A blob of grease fixes that. You can find the steeing stops on the chassis and the hub carrier in front of the front wheels. They will be pretty obvious, one looks like a domed bolt, the other side of it is a 2 inch long piece of channel metal. You can see where they would meet, put some heavy grease on it and it will quieten down.

2. Radio needs a band expander as the Japanese frequencies are lower than the UK ones. Best thing to do though is to take the radio and throw it in the nearest skip, even with a band expander you will be lucky to get a good signal on most stations. Radio 2 seems to be the best bet on a Japanese radio.

3. Most importantly, DO NOT use 4WD on a motorway, or any other tarmac surface, it is for snow, ice, mud and general off road use only as the Surf does not have a centre differential unlike a permanant 4WD (or All Wheel Drive) vehicle like a Range Rover or Discovery. You will quickly damage the transmission if you do use it on hard grippy surfaces.

4. Check the temperature gauge and whether you are losing any water. If it is then take it back pronto, they do run quite warm but should not be emitting any steam. Search around and see about overheating on 2.4s. They have a history of cracking the heads although this is by no means all of them and when running right the 2.4 is a great and reliable engine.

Cheers and good luck

Comment

Hello,

Thank you
        Is it just me or does this sound like someone is taking the p**s

Comment

i thought that as well
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

um... ditto!... although terry wogan isn't that bad!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

yep

yea course it is hes taking the ???? without a dought come on who is it own up lol
              black n tan
              black n tan
              yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Hello,

Thank you
                Ohhh - hark at her, someone with a point to make?

Comment

Not for real

Maybe its Groundhog day, April the first again and again and again.
                  He could have bought my 3ltr 1993 low mileage for £7500.
                  Any offers!!!!!
                  Still Searching,
                  Dick Whittington

Comment

undefined
                    Hello,

you must have really haggled to get that price, well done
                    it bangs when you turn right as the japanese road system means most right turns point you at china, the bang is to remind you that you are a capatilist not a communist. if you can only get radio 2 your,e flux capacitor will have overloaded your roundtuit, you will need to re-tune the flux capacitor and get a roundtuit
                    accelerate to top speed and repeatedly turn 4x4 on and off, the grinding and crunching noise will be louder than the surface noise
                    if it,s an ss..... model it will be the sumo sauna version with hard and soft suspension settings in case 4 sumos sauna in a surf. these engines have a reputation for being tempremental and are likely to let off a bit of steam now and then
                    Thank you

hope this helps,
                    ship

Comment

Originally posted by ship
                      undefined

hope this helps,
                      ship
                      Nutter

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                        Nutter

Ok I'll come clean IT WASNT ME

anyway I aint got 7 1/2 grand to play with she spent it on the extention.
                        If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

wer'nt me.
                          £7500 bit steep mate.
                          and as for the rest of the niggles, nothing another few hard earned pounds
                          wont cure.

a primal nut!!!!!
                          are you?
                          should have found the forum before you parted with so much dosh mate. dont leave much for ones little extra's.

welcome to the forum anyway, you will fit in here ok as your name suggests
                          Enjoying Life after Cancer
                          Pops

Comment

Working...
                          X