That's the Xmas Anti-spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's the Xmas Anti-spirit

I've never been a big fan of Xmas - it always feels too much like a 'let's get into debt' jamboree. However, while I try my best not to be a complete humbug I've come across some appalling stories that make a mockery of the whole 'celebration'. The one that sticks in my mind the most is this one.

A few years ago my sister was in Marks and Spencers on the last shopping day before Xmas and spotted a well-heeled middle-aged lady stealing the turkey out of someone else's trolley when they weren't looking. My sister was too gobsmacked to do anything about it. I think I would have been sorely tempted to impose a very public humiliation upon her.

Beat that.

The Turkey thief is probably is a cow the other 364 days of the year as well mate.
    If you need a certain day of the year to do someone a good turn then your already worthless.
    I love Christmas, I loved it as a kid, I loved it when my kids were younger, and I love it now even thou my teenagers wont be up till lunch time at best.

I don't care about all the fellow man drivel, {see comment above} I just love all the crap on TV, the over eating, the beer and glayva, seeing friends and family and then on the 27th we have our wee annual festive off road day.
    Normally around 20 show up and we blow the cobwebs away in a freezing muddy playground
    Brian

Comment

I'm nightshift, xmas is cancelled this year. She can have my turkey.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        I'm nightshift, xmas is cancelled this year.
        Ahhh, double bubble? and a day in lieu?
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
          Ahhh, double bubble? and a day in lieu?
          No, no premium time, just another working day.

Comment

I didn't like Christmas as a kid. A sniff of the barmaids apron and my stepdad turned into Mr Nasty, however, I decided that Christmas was going to be different for me and mine. Which is why I enjoy the company of merry/happy drunks, kids who make the carpet knee deep in wrapping paper, the food, the rubbish on the telly, the tree, the chavvy outside Christmas lights, the stupid games and I always cook the festive lunch.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

I'm nightshift, xmas is cancelled this year. She can have my turkey.
              Same here, Start standby Xmas morning 6.00am and finish New Years day 6.00am.
              No money, no drink and no fun

Comment

I'm off 22 - 28 Dec this year. Back in for New Years Eve and no double bubble because night shift finishes New Years Day morning. Ah, well, I can have a beer in the morning.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

most anti xmas ive seen is people coming to fisty cuffs over a dslite in what was woolies,that aside i love xmas,yes it is ver commercial,but tbh see my kids so happy makes it all worth while,for me atleast,and for the first time in years i'm not working,so really looking forward to it this year

Comment

I am actaully off from 24th to 5th for the first time in years. Can't wait. Hubby managed to get Christmas day night off too - wahoooo Christmas is not cancelled after all.
                    How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Love xmas, but more ever since i left home and have a family of my own. Had the decs up a week ago. And as for xmas stories , dont really take much notice of what other people get up to.

Comment

I love Christmas... who cares if it's commercial or whatever!... probably 90% of people in the country don't see it as a religeous festival, wheter it be pagan or christian......

went out last night with all my old mates for a drink, then gonna work solidly for the next few weeks to get my bonus...

xmas day, off to Mrs Slugs brothers for a #### up... then 27th we fly to aberdeen to see my family (probably won't get much drinking, but i'll be allowed to play with the nephews toys!!)
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I loved xmas as a child, child of the 70's; we used to go out and visit relatives then head home to open presents, watch somewhere over the rainbow or goldfinger or someones xmas special show, I remember a lot of happy things from xmas of old
                          It used to snow a lot more often too.

Now with children of my own, I think I enjoy it more.

Do I think it's commerical.. dahh I work in retail management ofcourse it is.
                          But we all _choose_ what kind of xmas we have.

Wishing a happy one to everyone.

peace
                          cal
                          Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

I'm fed up with all the Christmas hype already, it gets earlier every year. Can't be bothered with it. Even if I were off, a few days before the 25th is when everything should start, not the beginning of November.

Comment

I'm fed up with all the Christmas hype already, it gets earlier every year. Can't be bothered with it. Even if I were off, a few days before the 25th is when everything should start, not the beginning of November.
                              Traditionaly was 12 days, so 12-25th of Dec, or spread out across 6 days either side of the 25th, and yup it does come earlier each year in advertising and media; that's what _they_ do the accountents look at the numbers and see a elevated numbers in spending, average transaction and lots of other boring stuff.
                              But like I said, anyone can choose what kind of xmas we have, I like xmas but no decorations up at a my house yet, nor will there be till the 12th onwards.
                              Believe me _nobody_ should be more cynical about xmas than someone in retail like me, but I still enjoy it.

peace
                              cal
                              Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X