Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy a Mondeo?

Hi

I am a complete surf novice out on the Isle of Tiree in Scotland, (next stop America), so new in fact I haven’t even got my surf yet, although I have paid my deposit for a 1992 2.4td ssr-x. Fantastic condition and only 40,000 miles on the clock. Collect it in 2 weeks. Maybe over priced though!

Can anyone help with a couple of questions?

· What makes a ‘wide-bodied’ model? Is it just the addition of wheel arches? Can the right ones be bought and added to a normal surf to make a wide-bodied model. (Adding larger tyres as well).

· Is there anywhere I can buy roof-rails to fit (not bars)?

· Apart from a flush, coolant change and new thermostat, is there anything I should be persuading the garage to do before I collect it to stop the chance of it overheating? They have pressure tested the head and it was ok.

· Should I completely forget buying it because it’s a 2.4td and they seem to have overheating problems and buy a mondeo instead?

Hope you can help. And if you are ever passing Tiree, look me up. Some great beaches and tracks to drive on and lots of sunshine out here. Lots of watery surf too!

Hope attached pic attracts you over.

Cheers
    MJ

Originally posted by blowin a hooley
    Hi

I am a complete surf novice out on the Isle of Tiree in Scotland, (next stop America), so new in fact I haven’t even got my surf yet, although I have paid my deposit for a 1992 2.4td ssr-x. Fantastic condition and only 40,000 miles on the clock. Collect it in 2 weeks. Maybe over priced though!

· What makes a ‘wide-bodied’ model? Is it just the addition of wheel arches? Can the right ones be bought and added to a normal surf to make a wide-bodied model. (Adding larger tyres as well).

· Apart from a flush, coolant change and new thermostat, is there anything I should be persuading the garage to do before I collect it to stop the chance of it overheating? They have pressure tested the head and it was ok.

· Should I completely forget buying it because it’s a 2.4td and they seem to have overheating problems and buy a mondeo instead?

Hope you can help. And if you are ever passing Tiree, look me up. Some great beaches and tracks to drive on and lots of sunshine out here. Lots of watery surf too!

Cheers
    MJ
    Dont think there is much danger of anything " overheating " on Tiree
    Keith
    I never ever apologise for anything. http://www.onestopshopformultimedia.com/smile.gif If you dont like it I am sorry but thats the way I am

Comment

Hi

Cheers
      MJ
      what do you call overpriced
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Hi

Cheers
        MJ
        MJ.

You can get wheelarches to fit but the original ones will be difficult to get, best to get a set of Bushwackers.

You can get roof rails to fit, either search for some original ones from the US (they were an option on the 2nd Gen 4Runner however these are a pain to fit as you need to pull down the headlining. Alternatively get some from 4x4 Accessories and Tyres. I did on mine and they are easy to fit and do the job. They come in Stainless or black and fit from above with rivet bolts.

Don't sweat the overheating stuff, do the flush, thermostat, rad cap and make sure you have good antifreeze. You may be lucky you may be not - pretty much like all cars really. You get a distorted view by logging on to a forum because we only tend to discuss the problems. bear in mind that these cars are over 10 years old. A lot of cars of that age would be heaps of rust by now so we ain't doing bad.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the info.

They are asking £6,995, includes 12 months warranty, Full MOT, 6 months tax, a service, waxoyl underneath and a towbar fitted. Tyres are new too.

Comment

Hi Mark,
            Welcome on board.

As you will see from my profile i'm down on the sunny COSTA CLYDE.

Couple of things, i see you paid a deposit, why are you having to wait 2 weeks, no ferrys ??
            Warranty, do you have a copy ?
            Is there a service history with the surf ?
            Who are you buying from ?

If you have any questions send me a PM ( private mail ) and i'll answer any questions.

Sewerat Bob
            [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

my mum's got a mondeo... it's lovely! leather interior, 2.0 td engine... fast! top notch stereo, electric everything!!

but then again my parents are 60 and can't seem to get into my surf!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                my mum's got a mondeo... it's lovely! leather interior, 2.0 td engine... fast! top notch stereo, electric everything!!

but then again my parents are 60 and can't seem to get into my surf!
                yeh, what character has a mondeo got, wont find yourself lookin out at it every chance you get...

if the head really has been pressure tested and passed, whats to worry about

get the surf, and get addicted, its impossible not to.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

They are asking £6,995, includes 12 months warranty, Full MOT, 6 months tax, a service, waxoyl underneath and a towbar fitted. Tyres are new too.
                  for that sort of cash, i'd be looking to get a 3.0td, much more powerful, same mpg, and it appears none of the overheating issues.
                  [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Working...
                  X