I have a new toy but.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a new toy but.....

Hi all I am back after a brief and frankly not very pleasurable foray into land rover ownership. Some time ago, I decided I wanted a v8 vehicle, and lots of people I know raved about the off road prowess of a lr range rover. Well, I am back and the hilux surf is a much better vehicle.... PERIOD.
    I have just purchased a 1990 manual surf, with a big lift, and a rover v8 conversion. I have just taken it into some mud, and it would appear that the 4wd is not working. When the button is pressed, there are various clicks and clunks, but still not drive to the front wheels. It may well be just a missed connection during the v8 conversion process? Has anyone got the schematic for the 4wd sys for a manual 1990 ln130?

is the the grey one from ebay? your 4wd prob normally a Vac pipe problem.

Comment

i take it its not something simple like locking hubs not engaged? does the light come one on the dash?

Comment

You may well be correct, but I am not sure exactly where to look now there is a different lump in the engine bay. It was on ebay and is a jolly good conversion, but it does have a couple of issues... the worst of which is the 4wd not working!

Comment

Sorry replies crossed in the ether. The warning light does not illuminate at all.

Comment

is the transfer case working? ie is the front prop going round?

if it is, and it was mine, i'd perminatly lock the sliding collor on the front diff, fit manual hubs and do away with all the other crap that makes the ADD work.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi Tony... Not sure about the front prop at moment, as it is very dark and wet outside, so will check tomorrow, otherwise where and how much can I get manual hubs for? I must admit that idea makes sense.... less to go wrong!

Comment

£150 should get you Warn manual hubs, google.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Thanks all so far... I need to wait for daylight to check situation! (luckily I do have a complete spare manual surf of the same year so parts should be no problem if it turns out to be serious!!)

Comment

I have just been out to the truck, went underneath and the transfer case was working.. So I sucked on a disconnected vacuum pipe to see what happened.... It all now works! It works every time, I have engaged and disengaged it 50+ times now, and have just been out into a muddy field, and the 4wd system is working! The front ujs are clicky (whoopy doo), but it is magically fixed!

Comment

Hi Dean.Sorry i missed your call but i've ony just got your message you left.If you got the truck i'm thinking of it was a very nice looking truck and seemed to be a decent price.Glad you got what you wanted in the end tho
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Yay, good stuff.

Comment

Hi Richard... It is a great beast... Saved me all that work! Thanks also Tony, but it seemed to cure itself! Is it right to have a vacuum pipe with a filter inline connected to nothing but the outside world? seems odd to me....

Comment

Originally posted by d1now View Post
                            Hi Richard... It is a great beast... Saved me all that work! Thanks also Tony, but it seemed to cure itself! Is it right to have a vacuum pipe with a filter inline connected to nothing but the outside world? seems odd to me....
                            yup! lol wheres the other end attach to?

Comment

not sure... it disappears through the drivers side wing.... and I am not going to start stripping it down tonight! She will kill me.

Comment

Working...
                              X