Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a good forum

Im fuming.

I was just 'talking' to someone on another forum (an irish one) & i got various internet toughguys responding with fairly snotty posts. Dont think i'l bother going back.

It was to do with which was the best 4x4. I know, i know shouldnt have got involved.
    Somebody recommended a L Rover & i couldnt help myself, i had to throw in my opinion.
    I was polite as i usually am & said that it was possibly a poor recommendation based on the overwhelming evidence available online.
    Now I know our surfs aint faultless but come on folks, can we agree that Toyota's appear to be a little more reliable that Lrovers.
    I assured them I actually had a bit of a soft spot for LR's but their response was outrageously biased & petty.

And then the thread was locked, even though it wasnt that bad.

Makes me appreciate this place a bit more to be honest.

that was the whole aim way back when we set it up, just to have somewhere that wasn't policed to hard, and people just came and went and had a laugh.

Hopefully with a bit of poking and guidance in the right direction, we can back off again and it will get even better again.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I like some Landys. I'd probably swap the Surf for a nice Defender 90 pickup actually.

But then, I like the Navarra, Cherokee (old boxy one with the V8), the Hilux pickup, Landcruisers, and probably several more I cant think of right now.

However, if I did have a Defender, I'd probably have to be under it again next weekend. If I had a Cherokee, I'd be moaning about the cost whenever I needed parts etc. Most there are probably more capable than the Surf, but the Surf would be one of the most reliable - which I imagine is the point you made?

It's just people.

Some on that site are probably plonkers, just like here, just like life.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Landy's are fine for somethings, surfs for others..

Trouble is landy owners get VERY defensive if anyone says anything against them (even if it's true)

Friend of mine does Landy trials at a high level, off road only, highly modded etc. Towcar to and from events.......................

Landcruiser
        My other cars a QUAD
        (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
        http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

I bought the wife a disco V8 a couple of years back, got it off ebay, great price, already LPG converted with twin underslung tanks. Towed caravans with it, played off road and in loads of snow and a couple of cold winters.
          Nothing went wrong with it!!! I got rid of it a few months ago, I know what everyone says, but it was a good vehicle.
          Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

This is a good forum imo i've had lots of help and information off here, and met some realy nice people aswell.
            I think people can get a bit protective of what they drive whether it be a 4x4 road car or bike, i've had landrovers and rangerovers in the past and offroaded them pretty hard and only ever had small amounts of problems, i think the most reliable 4x4 i had was a lada niva cossack lol
            when the sh*t hits the fan greet the reaper with a smile

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              Most there are probably more capable than the Surf, but the Surf would be one of the most reliable - which I imagine is the point you made?
              Yup pretty much.
              This individual tried to argue the opposite in a very long-winded nit-picky sort of way & threw in a few very condescending remarks about his views on a 'stereotypical' toyota hilux driver.
              I honestly was disgusted with the backlash.

I actually have a bit of a thing for LR defenders but im not exactly a mechanical genius & I dont have the tools or funds should anything go wrong.
              Of course the defender is more capable off road but are they a little too uncompromising?
              Not sure i would want it as daily driver.

btw........i used to collect LR owner magazine!!! sorry folks

Comment

My soft Spot, this particular one

Comment

Comment

Only 1 to make it up there that day, had a massive step at the bottom

Comment

my surf is my daliy driver and i have done about 20.000 mile a year for just over 4 years with only one major problem ( torque converter ) ,cam belt done twice just cos its easy and a full service every year , two set of front pads a one pair of front discs a few bulbs and two sets of tyres , thats all i can think of.

as for a LR , i would love one if Toyota made it

john
                      i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

Got to agree Chris, Berts truck is a cracker.
                        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

This kind of thing very rarely ever appears on the mudclub forum simply because no matter what you drive, if you like to go offroad and be sociable then it does not matter one bit what badge your car wears.
                          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                            This kind of thing very rarely ever appears on the mudclub forum simply because no matter what you drive, if you like to go offroad and be sociable then it does not matter one bit what badge your car wears.
                            Must say it never happens on Elite either - think it's because they are not badge specific. Shame really tbh

Love the LR though - nearly had one myself.
                            How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Working...
                            X