oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil cooler

want to fit one to mine before next summer,i'm guessing an atf cooler will help?after the errrr problems this year lol,head killed by the caravan,anyway anyone recomend one for the 3.0?also what pipework is needed?tia

Thats something i was thinking about, fitted an ATF cooler but i've not heard if an engine iol cooler is available, i would think there would be some sort of unit that would fit between the filter and block that you could run the cooler from but not sure, only problem i see with thar is that like the aftermarket oil gauge adaptor plate thing it'd make the filter foul the steering columb, ya'd need to fit and alternitive filter plate, (sticking downward's instead of outwards) or a remote filter?
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

maybe i should have been a bit clearer,i meant i want an atf cooler

Comment

Right! ask the boyo or Pop's (i think) one of em fitted a ready kit!
        mine was off a beemer and took a bit of work to get ot to accept the hoses needed

Comment

I got a kit from america ebay, had all the pipework and fittings needed. I'd have done the job in under a day if I wasn't doing other work at the same time. I got the one rated for 5000lb (it was the smallest they did) and according to the engine temperature (not water temp but head probe I fitted) there is a deffinate drop of about 10 to 15 degrees on normal running about.
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
            I got a kit from america ebay, had all the pipework and fittings needed. I'd have done the job in under a day if I wasn't doing other work at the same time. I got the one rated for 5000lb (it was the smallest they did) and according to the engine temperature (not water temp but head probe I fitted) there is a deffinate drop of about 10 to 15 degrees on normal running about.
            This "head probe" sounds interesting! any pic's/info available?

Comment

I got the same cooler as Boyo and Maverick. Fitted like a glove, with no hassle. Although I wasn't doing the work myself lol Works well with no problems to date.
              Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

I used an MGB/Austin Mini sized one (becasue it cost me nowt) plumbed inline with the stock cooler in rad, mounted behind the front bumber just below where the number plate goes

I did that so there i no risk of overcooling the transmission.

Works a treat, not had an A/T oil Temp warning since I did it
                Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  This "head probe" sounds interesting! any pic's/info available?
                  I think it's called a "TM2" I got it off ebay Australia. The Probe bolts ontot eh engine block and monitors the engine temp not collecnt temp. It is really sensitive, you can see it increasing on incline and decressing when you back off. Best of all it has a audible alarm which you set to the temp you wish, so no repeats of overheating and no need to continually watch the temp guage.
                  Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650 View Post
                    I used an MGB/Austin Mini sized one (becasue it cost me nowt) plumbed inline with the stock cooler in rad, mounted behind the front bumber just below where the number plate goes

I did that so there i no risk of overcooling the transmission.

Works a treat, not had an A/T oil Temp warning since I did it
                    over cooling the transmission??

Comment

Originally posted by darkdezigns View Post
                      over cooling the transmission??
                      Yes there was a lot of discussion about the potential for overcooling a transmission. Normally when the oil goes through the water to oil cooler it will normally come out at a similar temprature to the water. Fit an air to oil cooler and it is possible to cool the oil to a much lower temp.

My set up goes something like this.

Out of the gearbox, into the mini oil cooler, out of the cooler into the rad, out of the rad back to the gearbox.

My second reason for doing this was that the oil cooler on the mini is quite small (6 row 300mm long) so I didn't want to risk not having enough cooling.

I maybe talking complete B0ll0cks but if I am i'm sure somebody will put me back on the right track.
                      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Yes there was a lot of discussion about the potential for overcooling a transmission. Normally when the oil goes through the water to oil cooler it will normally come out at a similar temprature to the water. Fit an air to oil cooler and it is possible to cool the oil to a much lower temp.

Out of the gearbox, into the mini oil cooler, out of the cooler into the rad, out of the rad back to the gearbox.

My second reason for doing this was that the oil cooler on the mini is quite small (6 row 300mm long) so I didn't want to risk not having enough cooling.

I maybe talking complete B0ll0cks but if I am i'm sure somebody will put me back on the right track.
                        ah ok,just didnt think u could cool it to much?

Comment

Originally posted by darkdezigns View Post
                          ah ok,just didnt think u could cool it to much?
                          There was a thread about it ages ago but, yes, it is possible. The V6, at least, won't go into OD until the engine's warm enough, presumably to protect something in there.

Comment

Nah, you're right. If you don't actually have a hot ATF issues, and just what to protect engine coolant temps occationally when towing, then a small cooler to take the worst of the temp out, then run it through the rad and it'll come out close to what Toyota wanted when designing it.

If you're regularly towing 1500kgs plus, or like to drive fast, especially on big tyres then you need more. I have a big B&M Super cooler, and the ATF fluid dosn't go anywhere near the rad anymore. But our truck is turning 33's on stock gears, and get used alot for towing heavy trailers.

You will actually have to go some to really over cool the tranny, but it designed to run at its best at quite a hot temp.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

That is how I plumbed mine in that way if the additional cooler cools the at too much the coolent can warm it back to optimum temperature.
                              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
                              X