Rate the surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate the surf

hi to all just a general opinion this is the first surf i've owned (92 2.4 td ) and it's standard apart from a diy snorkel.
    How do you guys rate the surf for offroading compared to other 4x4's, i've had various different 4x4's over the years and offroaded them pretty hard, but i've only had chance to do some mild greenlaneing in the surf due to running problems and was just trying to get a picture of them before i start punishing it properly and what mods do you recomend to make it better.
    cheers for any info recieved
    when the sh*t hits the fan greet the reaper with a smile

Get decent tyres mate, thats all i can say. Rubbish tyres will spin all day in mud. I would recommend mud tyres but if you find them a bit extreme get a good set of all terrains.

Comment

Every day in my Range Rover was an adventure....whats that new noise....will I make it home... i got to know the breakdown guys by first name...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

its not the most nimble 4x4 but it holds its own
        a little on the heavy side but around comfort is very good when off roading
        one thing about the surf it drives home after going off roading
        tiz a solid 4x4
        i only have diy snorkel diff breathers mud tyres
        holds up with all other 4x4's
        Last edited by JUDWAK; 29 November 2009, 22:41.
        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Well I've managed to get the Bullet round pretty much every place we've been inc some pretty extreme terrain. It doesnt have muds but BFG AT's but I do air down a lot.

Oh and we've towed a few Lame rovers out

I think they stack up pretty well TBH, but obvious a stock truck against a specially modded off roader wont do as well.
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Went to avalanche this year with a few from the forum & was shocked as to what it would get through & get up for that matter, totally standard with road tyres.

When i sell it i will probably invest in another one or an LC.
            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

i did have a feeling that they were pretty good offroaders, when i had my pajero i used to go out with animal when he had his first surf and his always seemed to get everywhere we tryed to get.
              I'm realy just getting the feel of it, it's the first 4x4 i've had with no centre diff of diff locks so i'm just a bit wary of it at the minute
              when the sh*t hits the fan greet the reaper with a smile

Comment

I went laning in N Wales last weekend. I was in a group of six. Leading the group was a very high spec Lada Niva, followed by a LR 90, then me in the Surf. There was a very tricked up KAP Suzuki Jimny and an Isuzu Trooper following. The Surf went everywhere the others did.

The only time I needed a pull was when I got cross axled and the front o/s wheel was against a vertical stone step that was as high as the bottom of the front bumper. I was pretty pleased with how she performed on Khumo ATs and no lift, standard bumpers, with the tow bar acting like a plough. It has made one of the group I was in think about getting a Surf.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

only had four, think there pants You can't beat a Toyota
                  www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

i'd rate my surf highly for towing and light offroading (while dragging a trailer around again). i find its a bit long for some situations i've had it in and i've got it stuck a few times where my series 3 lawn rover has kept on ploding through. I'd say good tyres are the second most important thing and learning how to drive offroad the first!!

surf's do look fugly though, IMHO!!

Comment

Working...
                    X