More fuel research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More fuel research

Fifth gear just on dave compared regular unleaded, super unleaded and shell Optimax or v fuel.

Depending on the cars ECU complexity if it can detect pinking etc and subtly change its mapping

Results: a cheap family runaround will notice no difference

A Golf Gti beast see's maybe an extra 5-15 bhp

Now they tested a suburu Imprezza (spelling?)

The shell stuff gave an extra 30 ft/lb of torque .....plus an extra 20 bhp...for a fuel thats gotta be worth it.

the Suburu torque went up from 230 to 260....

These special fuels are transported in separate tanks on the Tankers...

Back in the day Baby

interesting, I always figured the extra you paid for for negated any extra MPG you get, but worth it for the performance.

Isn't it just like adding a fuel additive yourself though? Grab a bottle of redex from Halfrauds.

Might just try a tankfull in our H6 Scooby Legacy though, and see what happens.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Agreed... should i feed my BMW tesco's stuff with regular dolops of Redex or should I use this Shell stuff its about 7-9p more expensive per litre...

I forgot to say if you want to see immediate improvements in performance you need to reset your ECU ,most have a lag built in before they decide to change the mapping

Also others who use the Shell Stuff claim that the engine is much cleaner inside when compared to other engines run on normal stuff the detergents doing their stuff...
      Last edited by Vultch; 29 November 2009, 13:38.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Where do you recon the Surf would fall in that scale?

More towards the family car or nearer the Golf?

What I mean is do you think you'de be able to notice in a 3rd gen?
        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

I'm not an expert but i think her ECU would attempt to compress and ignite coal... I doubt very much if you would notice any difference, but the engine would be cleaner inside...but redex does that

Back in the day Baby

Comment

We get 'ordinary' diesel here (stuff that doesn't meet European standards)

And 'Eurodiesel' which does, but is 8 pence a litre more expensive.

I can run the surf on the cheap stuff, and it'll run ok but it does less to the gallon than if I use the expensive stuff.

So, it seems to work out equal,
            I use the expensive stuff because I presume it looks after the engine better.
            Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Working...
            X