Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob

hi there chaps

thought i'd post in here to say hi as i cant post in any othe part of the forum...

i'm looking at getting in to offroading in a SURF soon, the crappy weather means i cant wash a polish my golf very much, and living in wales, its prime for some off roading action

just have a few q's or advise i'd like to ask...

i was going to go for the 3.0td model, preferably with a manual box, is this a good idea? what would you guys reccomend to a total newbie?

i've read the 2.4 petrol engines suffer from head troubles, i know its down to how they are kept but had enough of "enthusiast owned" cars, my current golf had the HDgasket go a week after i got it, so just basically looking for an easy offroader, to lift, put chunky tyres on and an snorkle, and hit the mud

cheers

Mark :P

Hi an welcome
    How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

hi, get a 3.0 unless some virtually gives you a 2.4 for free, they are perfectly great trucks, but the extra 30hp and quietness of the newer 3.0's is always worth the extra cash.

2.4 heads going are a dead cert if it gets/has got hot, there can't be many left that havn't been fixed now, 3.0 arn't immune, but they won't crack just because the sun is out and its hot out :rotfl

Manuals are nice, but hard to find, auto's works perfectly weel for 99% of any offroading you'll do in this counrty. The dual mass flywheel on the manual trucks WILL fail in the end, especially if its towed heavy stuff or offroaded hard, leading to quiet expensive clutch change sometime in the future.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by C18wwn View Post
        i was going to go for the 3.0td model, preferably with a manual box, is this a good idea? what would you guys reccomend to a total newbie?
        Whichever you're happier with. Manuals are harder to get hold of than the auto's though.

i've read the 2.4 petrol engines suffer from head troubles, i know its down to how they are kept but had enough of "enthusiast owned" cars, my current golf had the HDgasket go a week after i got it, so just basically looking for an easy offroader, to lift, put chunky tyres on and an snorkle, and hit the mud
        Any of the engines can have head failure, whether it be the 2.4 or 3.0 diesels. If you're referring to the V6 engine, they have a liking for head gaskets.

Comment

Welcome, hope you get a surf and enjoy it.... here a help for ya check out these link....

http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/hiluxsurf/info/faq.htm

Comment

Hello and welcom. I fully endorse all of the above opinions by the ragged collection of per.... Sorry force of habit ...experts
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

go for it mate surfs are fantastic off road even standard ones mine only has a snorkel and 31 muds but on general grabbers it was brilliant

Comment

Howdy & welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by steve s View Post
                  go for it mate surfs are fantastic off road even standard ones mine only has a snorkel and 31 muds but on general grabbers it was brilliant
                  Steve is that rusty thing under your surf your isuzu

Hi and welcome, you won't go far wrong with a surf for a cheap 4x4 toy
                  www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Welcome.

I am on my second Surf. I broke the first one when the cam belt snapped. I got too impatient and traded it for a 3.0L, just after I had got it how I wanted it to be, so I am now in the process of getting this one sorted.

They are great trucks if you don't do huge amounts of mileage. Get one and enjoy it.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

thanks guys

Steve S ; thats kind of what im after, something rugged but looks the part too

are they 31" tyres in the pic? what size wheels are they too?

i;ve got the golf for commuting, so the truck will only be used for fun at the weekends

Comment

Working...
                      X