Computer bits help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer bits help!

I am attempting to resurrect my computer a bit...
    Last time I did this someone kindly pointed me at a site that delved into my system and told me what was there, but I cant find it now.. I have found the Crucial site that has got me up to speed on the RAM, but I'm looking get a new graphics card and haven't the foggiest idea where to start!
    it's in me shed, mate.

Did you say new?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Did you say new?
      Well, newer...
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Do you know whats in there now as I may have something lying around to do the job for you ?

Comment

Try this its free and will check all your hardware and software for problems.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Comment

Originally posted by Leodis View Post
            Try this its free and will check all your hardware and software for problems.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
            Now that is a handy link! thanks very much for that.
            Now.. Graphics cards... I have established that I have plenty of PCI slots (I know this probably reads as if I write with crayons, but I'm a little bit rusty) Dabs is giving me options of PCI, PCI 64/66 or PCI 66... Eh?
            I want DVI/HDMI outputs so I can connect up to Huuuge new monitor and proper big telly when that arrives...
            Processor is Athlon 2.4 shortly to get a bit more ram,MB is a MSI MS-6712 1.0 and doesn't need to do much more than deal with a DSLR, iPlayer, and the internet. no gaming going on here.

When did all this get so complicated? It was quite straightforward when I upgraded the innards last time..
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
              Do you know whats in there now as I may have something lying around to do the job for you ?
              In there at the moment is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440-SE. And its struggling with a 1080 monitor...
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
                In there at the moment is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440-SE. And its struggling with a 1080 monitor...
                OK, that uses an AGP connection if i remember correctly. Do you know if you have a PCI-E connector on the motherboard ? if so I may be able to help you out

Edit : just found MB specs and it seems you don't have PCI-E connector. Let me have a rummage and see what I can find
                Last edited by Growler; 14 November 2009, 21:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                  OK, that uses an AGP connection if i remember correctly. Do you know if you have a PCI-E connector on the motherboard ? if so I may be able to help you out

Edit : just found MB specs and it seems you don't have PCI-E connector. Let me have a rummage and see what I can find
                  Cheers that man!
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Ah, all sorted. Thanks very much Growler, Jobs a good un.
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                      X