Hello and what car questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
    It makes very good sense to go for Toyota, if reliability is a prime concern. Discos and the lr brand on general are good offroaders, but are let down IMHO by certain factors, comfort, reliability, build quality etc.
    Thanks. will stick to Hilux then.
    Don't suppose anyone has a 3.0 Hilux in central london area, who wouldn;t mind me coming over and doing a test drive to familiarise myself with the car?
    I'd be happy to let the owner test drive my car in return if they fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by isee View Post
      Great! thanks
      how do you tell the diference between 2nd and 3d gen?

lastly, which one seems a better buy of the two?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...0218&logcode=p

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Hilux-S...item45ef1ae8c7
      When I was looking for a surf I went to see two Surfs that the Auto Trader sellers had. Niether Surf felt right one mechanicly the other the paperwork didn't "gell". They run thier business from thier flat. They are traders but it would be like a private sale. IMO don't buy from them. There's nothing I can put my finger on but they just don't feel right.

Brummie
      I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

Originally posted by Brummie View Post
        When I was looking for a surf I went to see two Surfs that the Auto Trader sellers had. Niether Surf felt right one mechanicly the other the paperwork didn't "gell". They run thier business from thier flat. They are traders but it would be like a private sale. IMO don't buy from them. There's nothing I can put my finger on but they just don't feel right.

Brummie
        I am certain, I know where you are coming from. I already had my doubts about them.

Comment

You'll find a good 3lt for under £1500 mine cost less than £1200 with a tow bar but I did spend a couple of months or so looking and ended up buying one in Warrington. Just take your time and be prepared to travel and then walk away from them till you find the right one

Brummie
          I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

Originally posted by isee View Post
            2. Price. I cannot properly import a right hooker there and therefore once the 12 month mot runs out, I will either chop it up and get it converted into a tractor or scrap it for pennies. Therefore I am reluctant to spend more than I have to. and Ideally under £2k

Isee
            Let me know when the MOT runs out, I will come and pick it up from you. say 20p?
            Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
              Let me know when the MOT runs out, I will come and pick it up from you. say 20p?

Heh heh, I like your approach!
              I think i'd be tempted to make it into a tractor with some ###### massive wheels though!

Comment

look, I'm guessing you are British, right?

Just forge new documents when those run out.

Most Police can't read English that good anyway.
                Last edited by slobodan; 11 November 2009, 17:39.
                Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Yeah I have the option of buying a forged MOT for about £20
                  but the problem is the insurance will not be valid, should I have an accident.
                  I know the odds are slim, but do I really want to risk say £50k in payouts for the sake of saving myself £1-2k?

Cheers for the idea though.

BTW, just found this:
                  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-TOYOTA-Su...item20ae0c27e8

looks like it might be worth offering £1.5k for this if it comes with MOT in my opinion, no?

What are the main problem areas in Hiluxes that I should look for when viewing a Hilux?

Comment

Forged insurance...fake documents.... Unreal
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Particularly on a public forum - which anyone can view - and the fact that there's several coppers who are members on here...
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Like I said, I am aware of the option, but don't see the upside, so no danger of me going down that route. Honest

Comment

Isee if its reliability you want then a 3Ltr Toyota surf is pretty much as tough as a vehicle can be. Troopers are meant to be bulletproof as well but the later 3Ltr Td is supposed to have serious turbo problems.
                          Obviously i may be a little biased but i reckon the surf will get you places the trooper will not.
                          If your budget is 2k then go for a 2nd gen, you'll find it near impossible to find a decent 3rd gen for that money.

Comment

Originally posted by fonecrusher1 View Post
                            Isee if its reliability you want then a 3Ltr Toyota surf is pretty much as tough as a vehicle can be. Troopers are meant to be bulletproof as well but the later 3Ltr Td is supposed to have serious turbo problems.
                            Obviously i may be a little biased but i reckon the surf will get you places the trooper will not.
                            If your budget is 2k then go for a 2nd gen, you'll find it near impossible to find a decent 3rd gen for that money.

Nice and clear advice. Much apprecieated!
                            Will get one by the end of next week!

Comment

Working...
                            X