Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 Hilux or '97 Landcruiser?

Hi all,

This is my first post of hopefully becoming a fully fledged member of the site. I wanted to put a question out there which I hope won't come back as too biased towards the Hilux (Yes, I do know which site I'm on)

I'm in the planning stages of what will become quite a large and very long roadtrip, leaving the UK and driving to New Zealand. Now quite a few people have done this and yes it has it's ups and downs but that is all part of the experience and the adventure of it.

I've done my research and know the approximate costs for a trip of this magnitude but what I wanted to ask you all was what is in the title. I have the opportunity to buy either a '97 3.0L Tdi Manual Hilux or a '97 Landcruiser with roughly the same specs. Both are in great condition, and both are sitting under 80,000 miles on the clock. The answers could be a little one-sided here and I appreciate that, but which would you choose to be most reliable, most comfortable and most of all, least costly!

I'll be doing some pretty serious off roading at some points in Asia, but throughout Europe and into India it looks like good highways and little to complain about apart from the backhanders I might have to pay to the man on the border with the big gun!

Also, if anyone on here knows of someone that has done something similar, I could use all the advice you can give.

Cheers in advance,

Scott

Sorry I cant help you with your question but welcome to the site. No doubt someone will come along who can give you some informed advice

Brummie
    I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

welcome to the site...

why not just get an 80 series to do that trip...?
      One day at the time I guess..

Comment

If you are talking 80 series Landcruiser then without doubt that's the one to go for (I owned a Surf for 6 years and now own an 80). The build is in a different league.

If you are talking 90 series (Prado) then under the skin it is a 3rd Gen Surf - and again I'd go for that over the Hilux.

If it is a Hilux pickup (double cab?) avoid Afganistan - you'll be hijacked the Taliban or shot at by the Americans (who will mistake you for the Taliban)

When are you planning on going?
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Hello Scott, cant really claim to be an expert on the mechanical ins & outs of either vehicle but in my humble opinion i reckon the hilux surf is a nicer drive than the Landcruiser.
          They share the same chassis but because of the taller body on the Lcruiser it suffers from a bit of roll on corners & tips backwards & forwards more when stopping & taking off.
          The lower centre of gravity gives the surf the edge.
          However if you need extra space for gear then maybe the long wheelbase cruiser is better for you?
          If its long distance comfort you want go for the surf.
          Sounds like a great adventure, good luck.

BTW i presume you're talking about a Hilux surf & Landcruiser colorado.
          Last edited by fonecrusher1; 10 November 2009, 14:34.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
            If you are talking 80 series Landcruiser then without doubt that's the one to go for (I owned a Surf for 6 years and now own an 80). The build is in a different league.

If you are talking 90 series (Prado) then under the skin it is a 3rd Gen Surf - and again I'd go for that over the Hilux.

If it is a Hilux pickup (double cab?) avoid Afganistan - you'll be hijacked the Taliban or shot at by the Americans (who will mistake you for the Taliban)

When are you planning on going?
            Yeah but would'nt the same hostiles mistake him for a wealthy tourist & steal the LC 80!!!!
            Whats the fuel economy for a 4.2td!!!!!!!!

Comment

If the crusier is an 80 series go with that.
              I suspect it's a colarado, if it is then it is a re skinned 3rd gen surf so it wont matter what one you choose. Same engine, chassis and running gear with the exception I don't think the colarado has mulit function 4wd
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by fonecrusher1 View Post
                If its long distance comfort you want go for the surf.

BTW i presume you're talking about a Hilux surf & Landcruiser colorado.
                But they're both more or less the same - assuming you're talking about a 3rd gen.

If you're talking about 2nd gen Surf (probably not as you have a 3rd gen), you're mental! The Colorado is newer and less 'truck like' so doesn't feel as agricultural as the Surf.

As far as an '80 goes, I'd MUCH rather do a huge trip like that in one of them than a Surf or hilux of ANY description. It's build quality is much better, it's more spacious, they generally come with very comfortable leather seats and are a very nice ride.

Fuel economy? I suspect he's not too worried if he's thinking of driving half way round the world!
                Last edited by Apache; 10 November 2009, 15:06.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  But they're both more or less the same - assuming you're talking about a 3rd gen.

If you're talking about 2nd gen Surf (probably not as you have a 3rd gen), you're mental! The Colorado is newer and less 'truck like' so doesn't feel as agricultural as the Surf.

As far as an '80 goes, I'd MUCH rather do a huge trip like that in one of them than a Surf or hilux of ANY description. It's build quality is much better, it's more spacious, they generally come with very comfortable leather seats and are a very nice ride.

Fuel economy? I suspect he's not too worried if he's thinking of driving half way round the world!
                  Correct i did mean a 3rd gen as i do own one. Wouldnt have a clue about 2nd gens fragile tractors that they are.............ONLY JOKING!

I agree with you that they are pretty much the same car but surely the fact that you can select 2wd on the surf means it would be generally more quiet/frugal on a long motorway journey? A major factor considering probably 80% of the trip will be on tarmac.

Also do you not think fuel economy is an issue given that it dictates how many times you will need to stop & refuel.
                  Not a concern here but imagine the stress of running empty 30 or 40 miles away from the nearest diesel pump in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

surely the fact that you can select 2wd on the surf means it would be generally more quiet/frugal on a long motorway journey? A major factor considering probably 80% of the trip will be on tarmac.
                    Good point...

Not a concern here but imagine the stress of running empty 30 or 40 miles away from the nearest diesel pump in the middle of nowhere.
                    For that kind of journey I'd have a few jerrycans of fuel on my spare carrier, so it wouldn't be an issue.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                      Good point...

For that kind of journey I'd have a few jerrycans of fuel on my spare carrier, so it wouldn't be an issue.
                      Oops didnt think of the jerrycans, ya got me there.

I must admit i sat in a LC 80 for a few minutes last week & i just want one.
                      Full leather, CB radio, massive 4.2td....dream machine.
                      Maybe some day, happy with me surf for now.

Comment

Full leather, CB radio, massive 4.2td....dream machine.
                        And as little as 8mpg, that's why I still have a Surf!

Meant to say, leather seats can be a bit slippy too...
                        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          And as little as 8mpg, that's why I still have a Surf!

Meant to say, leather seats can be a bit slippy too...
                          and thats exactly why i dont have one, can barely afford to run my surf.

Come on albannach you secretly want an LC 80. I bet you have a picture of one as your screensaver!!
                          I thought the majority of surf owners here eventually want to graduate to the bigger Lcruiser?
                          Personally i could never justify owning one as i spend 95% of the year on road.

Comment

Come on albannach you secretly want an LC 80. I bet you have a picture of one as your screensaver!!
                            Nah, I have a pic of my bike. I did like Geo's LC on the Applecross trip, but for now, I'll stick to my Surf.
                            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I have a pile of reformed rag as my screensaver
                              and georges cruiser is very nice isn't it... Saw it at drumclog
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X