3rd Gen or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen or not

I love my 2nd gen surf but I have one issue, the room for the rear passengers is rubbish. I have two children, I am tall and have my seat pushed right back, my son who sits behind me is cramped. Tried different combinations with wife and kids but all in all not enough space in rear.

Is there much more space for rear passengers in a 3rd gen, is a colorado any different to a 3rd gen, is it safe to assume a colorado and a prado are essensially the same.

Planning on traveling to france with caravan next year, need to think about changing to something with more space.

yes
    the rear seating room is bigger in a 3rd gen
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Loads more room in the back, plus the 3rd gen has a slightly longer wheel base, which makes it a more comfortable ride.

Comment

Prado/colorado same car. Go for the 3rd gen, slightly less headroom than colorado but a nicer looking truck in my opinion & the surf is a much better drive because its not as tall.

Comment

Go for it, much more room in a 3rd Gen.

Comment

def more leg room in back - in a colorado compared to 2nd Gen

rear locker in colorado! none on 3rd gen surf
            but 3rd gen has a 2wd option, which colorado does not
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

Didn't know that! Thought the drivetrain was identical between Colorado and 3rd gen. Colorado presumably slightly thirstier with permanent 4WD then?
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                Didn't know that! Thought the drivetrain was identical between Colorado and 3rd gen. Colorado presumably slightly thirstier with permanent 4WD then?
                Your right ya know. Landcruiser colorado & 3rd gen have same chassis/drivetrain.

Comment

Originally posted by fonecrusher1 View Post
                  Your right ya know. Landcruiser colorado & 3rd gen have same chassis/drivetrain.
                  Wrong 3rd Gen has different transmission.

90L fuel tank on the Colorado as well as Rear Diff, rare to find an Import "Prado" with rear diff lock, but sometimes found with an Intercooler which the UK Colorado never had. Also Colorado has rear disk brakes and the the 3rd gen has drums (AFAIK)

Later Colorado's had the more powerful and economical D-4D engine fitted.
                  Last edited by 24Seven; 30 October 2009, 19:33.
                  I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by 24Seven View Post
                    Wrong 3rd Gen has different transmission.

90L fuel tank on the Colorado as well as Rear Diff, rare to find an Import "Prado" with rear diff lock, but sometimes found with an Intercooler which the UK Colorado never had. Also Colorado has rear disk brakes and the the 3rd gen has drums (AFAIK)

Later Colorado's had the more powerful and economical D-4D engine fitted.
                    This is taken from the Wikipedia description of 3rd gen surf;

"This time, it shared virtually nothing with the pickup it had originally evolved from, and had more in common with the Land Cruiser, as it shared its chassis with that of the LWB Land Cruiser Prado".

Dictionary.com definition of Chassis: Automotive. the frame, wheels, and machinery of a motor vehicle, on which the body is supported.

Yes there are some small differences as you have mentioned but by & large the surf & pre D4D Lwb Colorado/Prado share the same hardware.
                    I test drove a few colorado's before i found my surf & the 4wd drive system was the same in both vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      Loads more room in the back, plus the 3rd gen has a slightly longer wheel base, which makes it a more comfortable ride.
                      I have read on this forum there is only three inches difference???

Is this true, bring on all the joke regarding what difference three inches makes.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianL View Post
                        I have read on this forum there is only three inches difference???

Is this true, bring on all the joke regarding what difference three inches makes.
                        I'll let you know for sure tomorrow as I have both gens here. I do know that the 3rd gen sidsteps won't fit the 2nd gen trucks as they're too long.

Comment

3rd GEN

Hi had my wifes 3rd GEN some 6 years now just turned over 200,000kms only problems we have had is batteries. i find it more roomy than the 2nd Gens much quicker and more mpg, BUT i find them very "TINNY" sounding they dont seem as solid as the 2nd gens.
                          Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux View Post
                            Hi had my wifes 3rd GEN some 6 years now just turned over 200,000kms only problems we have had is batteries. i find it more roomy than the 2nd Gens much quicker and more mpg, BUT i find them very "TINNY" sounding they dont seem as solid as the 2nd gens.
                            sounding?
                            what do u mean?
                            the engine?
                            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                              sounding?
                              what do u mean?
                              the engine?
                              He means the body/metal/ soundproofing.
                              I do agree really, the 3rd gen doors for instance feel very light compared to the 2nd gen.

Comment

Working...
                              X