X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pops View Post
    OK peoples

Pops.com wants to know!
    Question is: WHO in england does the BEST packaage for Broadband/telephone/TV at a competative cost
    SIMPLES
    I can only comment on Scottish packages, but would heartily recommend Virgin. Although, saying that, I have never seen speeds anything like BDT's on my 20Mb connection.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      You don't have a 20gig connection, you have a 20Mb (Megabit) connection. And you have to be the only person in the UK who averages 19.6Mb! Until you said that, I thought it was impossible to reach the maximum speed on any connection?
      sorry yes meant mb,and yes im on the 20mb connection,not the bigger one,no idea but does processor,cache etc help as mine are v big to cope with the art programs im now using alot

Comment

sorry if there were anymore spelling mistakes today alb,but in my defense i have had general anesthetic today,and 4 wisdom teeth out,bed now,with rapidly swelling face

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
          sorry yes meant mb,and yes im on the 20mb connection,not the bigger one,no idea but does processor,cache etc help as mine are v big to cope with the art programs im now using alot
          Nope, your PC has little to do with your connection speed. My PC upstairs is faster than your's (given the spec you posted a while back) but still only manages around 9-11Mbs (sustained).
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            You don't have a 20gig connection, you have a 20Mb (Megabit) connection. And you have to be the only person in the UK who averages 19.6Mb! Until you said that, I thought it was impossible to reach the maximum speed on any connection?

I suspect that the measured speed depends a lot on the time you measure and the speedtest programme/site you use - I'm on a 10mb line and have just recorded the following speeds:

kilobit/sec (kilobyte/sec)
            Download speed: 9,079.11 (1,134.88) 100%
            Upload speed: 492.48 (61.56) 100%
            Surfspeed inside United Kingdom: 662.42 (82.80) 100%
            Surfspeed average (worldwide): 380.32 (47.54) 100%
            Surfspeed outside United Kingdom: 355.65 (44.45) 100%
            Latency: 62 milliseconds

PS

Martin, if you can get through to Virgin Customer service tell them you're thinking about changing supplier but their advertised packages are dearer than your current supplier then ask if they've got a better deal !

Virgin's Package options are here

Last edited by Predictable Bob; 29 October 2009, 04:38.
            Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

thats my only bug bear with virgin,not that they are in another country,but they are so very quiet,its a nightmare to try and understand anything

Comment

at the moment virgin is going to be one of the fastest at the moment without going to silly money.

Virgin has its own infrastructure it runs on the old cable and wireless network installed about 10 years ago. BT (and others) runs on a network installed odd 50years ago. however BT are trying to get there new networks up to date it will take years.

other things that can affect your speed is the contention ratio 20:1 100:1 etc of your line but again the lower the contention ratio the higher the cost of the line.

Comment

Was with virgin and their customer service left a lot to be desired, could never get through and when you did you got a mindless robot.
                  Swapped to Sky, TV Sky+, phone and internet £26 per month, phone inc weekend and evening calls to landlines free.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
                    Was with virgin and their customer service left a lot to be desired, could never get through and when you did you got a mindless robot.
                    Swapped to Sky, TV Sky+, phone and internet £26 per month, phone inc weekend and evening calls to landlines free.
                    you could understand virin on the phone?they sound lie they whisper to me?lol

Comment

After a slight discussion with Indian Telecom (sorry BT) I ended up with Orange. Advertised 8mb (get about 7 but I'm less than a mile from the exchange), fair usage download (I do about 20 to 100 gb a month), free evening and weekend calls to 01 and 02 numbers, if you use their router you get a VOIP phone line with free day time calls to 01 and 02 numbers, and they take over your BT line, so no monthly payment to them.

Fixed charge is £24.99, and that covers line rental and broadband, you then pay for any calls that aren't free. So far my most expensive month was when someone stole the goat (don't ask just reveiw my threads) and that was just under £40.

I'd consider Virgin but they never got around to putting the cables into all the pipes they layed 14 years ago!
                      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

I have been with Virgin since it was NTL. We made enquiries about quitting and are now on an upgraded package - 20Mb Broadband (best test so far was 15.6Mb download), Medium TV package and free calls to 01 and 02 numbers from the landline.
                        Reading the small print they charge like a wounded bull for calls to mobiles and other prefixes but as I have just beaten O2 down from £25/M to £12/M, for my contract mobile, by suggesting I might try another supplier, I am quite happy to call mobile-mobile. They offered me an upgraded phone at no extra cost but the one I have makes calls, takes decent pics and is scratched to ####, just like the upgraded one would be in about three months, so I took the price reduction.
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                        X