rad cap rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rad cap rating

hello guys, can some one confirm the pressure rating of the rad cap o a 3rd gen? The one that came off is at 0.9 bar, Roughtrax have supplied a new one at 1.1 bar I dont want to fit the higher rated one in case it causes damage, i have spoken to Barry whos thinks that it is 1.1, also spoke to stevo who said it should be 0.9.

So which one?
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Just checked mine and it's 0.9 - given that the rest of the markings are in Japanese I suspect it's still the original one

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Tricky question this one. I would use the same as what came off it, especially if it is the original jap cap.

The genuine number is 16401-72090 11/'95 to 10/'97 but I don't have a cross reference with pressure rating.

On later models the EPC list two numbers, one for manual and another for auto.
      Manual number is 16401-54750.

Nev

Edit: Previous post seems to confirm it is 0.9. Just make sure the size is right as there are at least three sizes of caps for Toyotas.
      Last edited by NiftyNev; 28 October 2009, 15:23.

Comment

Thanks guys i have had to order one from Milners as roughtrax do not have a replacement. I think it would be good to find out exactly what is for what truck.
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Re

Use ONLY 0.9

You can get them at most good motor factors now.

I got one from Roughtrax a while ago and it was obviously not the right one, it didn't seem to fit properly.

I sent it back to them and got an identical one back!

See pics I sent them to compare the one I took off with the one they sent!

Although they were both rated at 0.9 the damn thing didn't fit properly because of the lugs, see pic!

I took the old one to a local motor factors and he gave me one off the shelf that was identical!

Was in a blue/grey box with a fingerprint on it, can't remember what the make was!

It was cheaper as well!

Gary
          Attached Files
          Last edited by hellmett; 28 October 2009, 22:44.

Comment

0.9 on mine colin
            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Re

Whoops!

Just noticed you have a 3rd Gen!

Will leave my post in case it comes in handy for someone!

Gary

Comment

Did some more searching and a 16401-72090 aftermarket is a 0.9.

Nev

Comment

Mine is a genuine toyota & its 0.9.
                  If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

As far as I can find, all 1KZ-TE caps are 0.9 bar. The difference in part number will probably be because of the size of the cap. As I said before there are three sizes and I think all available in both 0.9 and 1.1 bar. The most common used is the small and extra small caps.

If you look at this Aussie Tridon guide it shows sizes for CA, CB and CC series caps.

http://www.tridon.com.au/downloads/d...e.aspx?D=46587

Nev
                    Last edited by NiftyNev; 29 October 2009, 02:19.

Comment

If Roughtrax are supplying 1.1 bar caps perhaps someone should have a discussion with Barry and work out which is correct.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                        If Roughtrax are supplying 1.1 bar caps perhaps someone should have a discussion with Barry and work out which is correct.

Nev
                        Morning Nev. I have spoken to Barry and he said he has checked and is sure it is 1.1, he said he has looked at a couple of trucks and they have caps on with 1.1 bar caps on. The roughtrax web site picture shows a 0.9 cap!. He did go on to say that he was going to get some 0.9 ones back in stock.

I wonder if some of the head problems that have happened have been because the wrong cap has been fitted?

I have had to get one from Milners which is a 0.9.
                        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

just got a new rad cap from milners, its the wrong one its for a 2.4, phoned them and they said its the same cap for all the engines 2.4 3. 2nd and 3rd gen!!! what the hells that all about. Could they be causeing the heads to go because they are supplying the wrong rad caps. The guy was really unhelpfull, so its going back to them.

getting fed up now.
                          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Same cap for all of these.

Nev
                            Attached Files

Comment

3rd generation and others.

Nev
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...