roof tray opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roof tray opinions

I am thinking of getting a Lappland Roof Tray http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk/luggage-rack-tray.htm (the larger one) for my Surf.
    I don't have roof bars at the moment so I'd have to get those too.

Once I have the Mrs the kid and the dog in the car there's not a lot of room for a weeks worth of luggage and camping equipment.
    This looks like a good option (and will look OK too).
    Anyone else have any other options or a better idea?

TIA

PS I'm off on holiday for a week tomorrow so if I don't reply it's cos I'm not here (will follow up on return)

Edit: I don't have a sunroof so that's not a factor
    Last edited by malum; 28 May 2004, 11:55.
    [color=darkorange]
    [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Nick
    1994 3L Turbo. Manual. SSR-X Limited[/size][/font]
    [/color]

Originally posted by malum
    I am thinking of getting a Lappland Roof Tray http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk/luggage-rack-tray.htm (the larger one) for my Surf.
    I don't have roof bars at the moment so I'd have to get those too.

Once I have the Mrs the kid and the dog in the car there's not a lot of room for a weeks worth of luggage and camping equipment.
    This looks like a good option (and will look OK too).
    Anyone else have any other options or a better idea?

TIA

PS I'm off on holiday for a week tomorrow so if I don't reply it's cos I'm not here (will follow up on return)

Edit: I don't have a sunroof so that's not a factor
    I think the Lappland tray looks really cool, would've bought one myself but didn't want to spend the dosh so I got a couple of the Thule Standard roof racks instead. Go for it, looks like a million dollars.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks

that's about all the encourgament I need

I won't order til I get back from holiday so if anyone else has any input fire away.
      Last edited by malum; 28 May 2004, 14:55.
      [color=darkorange]
      [/color]

Comment

The Thule one looks a bit like this one on dandownunder's Surf-LIKE IT
        Attached Files

Comment

OK back on the rack as it were.

I have some options here.

I want the big tray which is 1.5 meters long, will that go on roof bars that are fixed to the door tops? (being as how the back doors stop quite a long way forward of the back of the truck)

My other thought was to get roof rails (the kind that require drilling of the roof seem the only option) then put bars across then put the tray on the bars.
          This option is expensive.

Option three:

My knackered old Volvo estate has a very snazzy roof rail/bars system screwed to the roof.
          I have no idea if the screws are self tapping or if it bolts into something behind the headlining.
          I also have no idea if the thule tray will fit on the cross bars (they are wide and flat in an aerodynamic kind of way)
          I could whip this off and bolt it to the Surf

So any thought on what my best bet would be?
          [color=darkorange]
          [/color]

Comment

I have been down this route.

And, yes, it does get very pricey.
            Consider the following.

G4 Challenge vehicles, R*v*r something or others.
            *** Just go and wash my mouth out. ***
            They use a roofrack made by Safety Devices, which surprisingly enough bolts to a roll cage. Custom cage (for a Surf) with a rack, starts at £2500+vat and they would need to keep the vehicle for about 2 weeks. (Nice)

Strictly speaking this rollcage is on the outside.
            http://www.safetydevices.com/oldsite/4x4/images/56.jpg

Other options.

Eezi-Awn.
            http://www.eeziawn.co.za/assembly.html

These guys do a gutterless rail mount (like your Volvo suggestion), and is a permanent fix. I went for this option. The trays are 1.4m wide (yes a little bit of an overhang) and the rack, made up of 2 trays, 1.6m long. Don't forget the roof on the 2nd Gen surfs are 1.8m long. Also not that Thule don't make feet/mounting for 2nd Gen Surfs anymore, so you'll be scouring Ebay for those. Mounting the rails is the major problem. You can get through the roof easily, making the mount strong enough is a little more involved (this is where it can get pricey). You do have roof braces under the roof lining, about four which aren't evenly placed... So you'll have free floating fixings at each end of the rails and you can then solidly mount the fixings for the rails through the roof into the roof braces. What this will then give you is something you can comfortably stand on with out worrying about it. I got mine through Footloose4x4, nice guys, helpful... just got hammered with the labour, suppose if anyone else goes for one, they'll have a good idea what they are doing... (I wasn't happy being a guinea pig).

Why did I go for this one, main reason, Eddie Priscott at Frogsisland4x4 took forever to get back to me... and with my departure date looming, I want to get it sorted.

He has just got back to me with a sample Frontrunner gutterless rail roofrack. pictures attached below.

He's got a sample one in stock... might give you a few more options. Almost wish I hadn't rushed... Still, I can jump up and down on my rack and nothing flex's... I am more than happy with that.

andyL

Comment

Thank you for your comprehensive reply.

So to clarify.
              These guys fitted gutterless rails to your surf which were bolted to the roof braces?
              They presumably had to remove the headlining for this?

Then you mounted bars? or is the tray bolted straight on the rails?

What was the total cost?

Cheers
              [color=darkorange]
              [/color]

Comment

Yup,

I had already pulled out the roof lining to do some sound proofing anyway... (don't tell anyone, it had been out for almost 12 months, getting the rack done was enough excuse to put the interior back in)

Roof rails are bolted through the roof and packed/bolted through to the roof braces (very very tight). The racks bolt to feet which, in turn, bolt to the roof rails. Theoretically, I could unbolt the feet from the rails and slide the rack off the roof, leaving the rails on the vehicle. Of interest, Eezi-Awn do offer a number of interesting bits to bolt on stuff to their racks, lockable jerry can holders, wheel clamps, hi-lift jack mounts, awnings, etc...

Rails cost about £120.00, two 900mm racks were £200.00 each (only 'cos they were lying around gathering dust - prices are on their website). It was the labour that was the killer, and I would rather not remember that bit. Something like way over 9 hours, plus vodka and tonic.

andyL
                Last edited by AndyLala; 7 June 2004, 17:07. Reason: keep forgetting what was being asked.

Comment

I have also been looking at racks/trays but I am worried about the fuel consumption if I leave them on all the time. What effect do the trays have? Is there much wind noise? I whip the ladders and bars off my van for long trips if I can because they make a big impact on fuel and speed..

TVM in advance

Phil.

Comment

I must admit, I haven't sat down and calculated this. Not done any really long trips since fitting the rack... Let you know towards the end of July.
                    It's true, it would push consumption up a bit. Perhaps a trailer wouldn't have suited better. But, if you do have to carry stuff... I suppose to have to pay somewhere else...

Still more room for the veggie oil...!

andyL

Comment

Are the trays kind of permanent or can you remove them and just leave rails?

Phil.

Comment

The rack can be removed.

Not easy, but it can be removed. See attached images.

So, I would say, semi-permanent.
                        You will also notice that these racks are rather wide...
                        Mainly, so that the larger Eezi-Awn tent will go straight on (once you take the side rails off)...

andyL
                        Last edited by AndyLala; 7 June 2004, 18:53. Reason: Blimey, that is a bit grubby for a photo... apologies...

Comment

Update:

Whilst I pondered which course to take on this matter I was struck by the fact that there is a place just round the corner from me that imports Surfs and gets them ready for the UK (I don't think they sell them direct to the public as they are tucked away and don't have any signage, I only found out that they were there by accident)
                          I dropped in there and asked if they ever got any in with roof trays on (I thought it was a long shot) low and behold they had a roof tray sitting in the corner with all the fittings (the type specially made for the Surf in Japan).

I asked what they wanted for it and he ummed and ahhhed and said £50, so I snatched his hand off :lol

Just whacked it on and it's huge and sold as a rock (I jumped up and down on it to make sure).

Result!!!!
                          [color=darkorange]
                          [/color]

Comment

Originally posted by malum
                            Update:

Whilst I pondered which course to take on this matter I was struck by the fact that there is a place just round the corner from me that imports Surfs and gets them ready for the UK (I don't think they sell them direct to the public as they are tucked away and don't have any signage, I only found out that they were there by accident)
                            I dropped in there and asked if they ever got any in with roof trays on (I thought it was a long shot) low and behold they had a roof tray sitting in the corner with all the fittings (the type specially made for the Surf in Japan).

I asked what they wanted for it and he ummed and ahhhed and said £50, so I snatched his hand off :lol

Just whacked it on and it's huge and sold as a rock (I jumped up and down on it to make sure).

Result!!!!
                            Pics?

Comment

I am waiting for it to stop !!!!ing with rain.
                              Will post them soon.
                              [color=darkorange]
                              [/color]

Comment

Working...
                              X