Timing Belt reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt reset

Hi oh wise ones. my beautiful truck goes in for a full service tomorrow pending a three week jaunt around France. I have asked them to change the timing belt. Now the speedo indicates 149.000 K's and I assume that if they do not reset the counter the light will come on at 200.000 Km. How do I explain to them the procedure for the reset if I do not know it myself other than it is somewhere behind the dashboard. Can anyone help with detailed instructions or a diagram please. 96 3rd gen 3.0 TD SSRG.
    Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Originally posted by Malenibo
    Hi oh wise ones. my beautiful truck goes in for a full service tomorrow pending a three week jaunt around France. I have asked them to change the timing belt. Now the speedo indicates 149.000 K's and I assume that if they do not reset the counter the light will come on at 200.000 Km. How do I explain to them the procedure for the reset if I do not know it myself other than it is somewhere behind the dashboard. Can anyone help with detailed instructions or a diagram please. 96 3rd gen 3.0 TD SSRG.
    remove rubber bung from clear plastic dial fascia, use long thin instrument to push the reset button located on the dial fascia, replace rubber bung, job done.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
      remove rubber bung from clear plastic dial fascia, use long thin instrument to push the reset button located on the dial fascia, replace rubber bung, job done.
      Sorry but that's not correct as it's a 3rd gen, you have to remove the dash and then change a small screw from one hole to another ( see picture ).

Or you can do it like this.

First step is to pull the instrument cluster out of the dash. This involves about 8 screws and a dozen or so clips. Then unplug the 3 wiring plugs at the back of the cluster. Once you have the cluster out remove the Perspex cover (at all times after this is removed be very careful as the instruments & needles are very delicate). Now remove the 2 small screws on the Speedo face. Once these are removed very very carefully pry off the Speedo needle (be patient.... it will come off!) Next remove the facia from the Speedo and the clear plastic thingy underneath. Got it so far? Now, on the 10s of thousands number counter (the 6 in 60000), you will find a small gear and spring on an axle which drives a larger gear on the left hand side which is attached to a thing with numbers on it. This thing clicks over every 10 000 kays and when it reaches the right point a small cam on this thing activates a small stainless steel arm that then activates a micro switch. That is how it makes that annoying light come on! Now how to switch it off. Go back to the small gear with the spring. Slide the gear to one side and manually turn it by hand and the larger gear with the numbers on it should turn as well. Keep turning until you hear the little switch click. I think the number should probably read zero (In my excitement I didn't really pay too much attention to where it was). Now plug the cluster back in and start your car - the light should be gone. If it is still there you may have tuned it too far. If all is well put it all back together and Bobs your uncle.

Comment

QUOTE=andy]Sorry but that's not correct as it's a 3rd gen, you have to remove the dash and then change a small screw from one hole to another ( see picture ).

Or you can do it like this.

First step is to pull the instrument cluster out of the dash. This involves about 8 screws and a dozen or so clips. Then unplug the 3 wiring plugs at the back of the cluster. Once you have the cluster out remove the Perspex cover (at all times after this is removed be very careful as the instruments & needles are very delicate). Now remove the 2 small screws on the Speedo face. Once these are removed very very carefully pry off the Speedo needle (be patient.... it will come off!) Next remove the facia from the Speedo and the clear plastic thingy underneath. Got it so far? Now, on the 10s of thousands number counter (the 6 in 60000), you will find a small gear and spring on an axle which drives a larger gear on the left hand side which is attached to a thing with numbers on it. This thing clicks over every 10 000 kays and when it reaches the right point a small cam on this thing activates a small stainless steel arm that then activates a micro switch. That is how it makes that annoying light come on! Now how to switch it off. Go back to the small gear with the spring. Slide the gear to one side and manually turn it by hand and the larger gear with the numbers on it should turn as well. Keep turning until you hear the little switch click. I think the number should probably read zero (In my excitement I didn't really pay too much attention to where it was). Now plug the cluster back in and start your car - the light should be gone. If it is still there you may have tuned it too far. If all is well put it all back together and Bobs your uncle.[/QUOTE]

I thought things supposed to get easier on later models!!! phew what a palaver[
        Gaz

Comment

Thanks for that. I think I will have to wait an see if it comes on at 200,000. As if i explain all that the price will go mega. I should have time when I get back to remove the dash to get at the screws now I have a picture. I think they just make it more complicated to stop the DIY and get the dealers more money,Ah well, sa la vie
          Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by andy
            Sorry but that's not correct as it's a 3rd gen, you have to remove the dash and then change a small screw from one hole to another ( see picture ).
            Perhaps I'll read the rest of the post next time
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Just remove clocks assembly, swap screw as in photo above, replace.
              No need to dismantle any clocks, speedo etc. Easy job. First time it might take you 45 minutes, once you've removed and replaced the clocks a few times, I reckon you can do it in about 15/20 mins tops.
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

T Belt light

Thanks for all the replies, without your help I would never have guessed.

Comment

T Belt Light Reset

Originally posted by Morr
                  Just remove clocks assembly, swap screw as in photo above, replace.
                  No need to dismantle any clocks, speedo etc. Easy job. First time it might take you 45 minutes, once you've removed and replaced the clocks a few times, I reckon you can do it in about 15/20 mins tops.
                  Tks Maurice, less than 45 minutes to do the job, but took about an hour and a half to find a picture of the the two holes. The spare hole on mine looked to have a yellow rubber membrane and as this wasn't broken I am hoping my Surf has just completed its first 100K.

However, can you answer the following.

I think my speedo has been converted electronically. It reads in mph but as its the original kph speedo it has a max of 180.

The odometer also now records in miles and as the T Belt light came on at exactly 100k (a mixture of kilometers and miles) I am assuming that it will now come on again in a further 100k miles rather than 100k kilometers?

This means that the T Belt should be changed again long before the light comes on. Am I correct?

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Malenibo
                    just tell em to use same procedure out there data book for a 3.0 lt landcruiser
                    iv,e done loads
                    I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
                    (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

Originally posted by terrymcc
                      .......I think my speedo has been converted electronically. ........The odometer also now records in miles and as the T Belt light came on at exactly 100k (a mixture of kilometers and miles) I am assuming that it will now come on again in a further 100k miles rather than 100k kilometers?

This means that the T Belt should be changed again long before the light comes on. Am I correct?

Terry
                      I would have to assume this is the case, your speedo/mileometer will know it has clocked up 100k units of distance and therefore illuminate the light, it does not differentiate between miles/kilometers/arm lengths etc etc.
                      Make a note of the mileage now, and ensure the belt is changed every 100k kilometers or 62k miles.
                      Maurice
                      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

wheres the picture gone?????

Theres gotta be an easier way than this, it don't take that long to change the t/belt!!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy30
                          just tell em to use same procedure out there data book for a 3.0 lt landcruiser
                          iv,e done loads
                          Care to elaborate????????
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Is this the picture your after.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Light still on!

Hope someone will point out the obvious and simple step I've missed...
                              I have a 3.0litre 3rd generation surf, odometer reads just over 200000 kms. The timing belt has been changed, and I've just followed your advice and removed the dash and moved the screw to the empty hole.

On re-assembly, the light is still on. I've moved the screw back, still no change.

Any suggestions welcome!
                              Cheers
                              Rik

Comment

Working...
                              X