Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kzn185 suspension again!

Hi all
    Can anyone tell me if the hilux surf KZN185 suspension is the same as the 90 series landcruiser?
    I need suspension for my surf & i have standard setup.
    i have emailed different companys about what i want from rancho to old man emu, tjm etc but i have not got many replys and those i have are for a 93-96 surf.
    I was hoping the landcruiser might be the same so i could buy some from my local factors,
    4WD1 have what i want but tell me delivery alone would be over AUD800 just for shipping & then i get hit with import tax?
    thanks in advance for any info G1xer

Yes, same suspension as the Landcruiser Prado (90 series)

Comment

Similar, have swapped my Surf 96 rear axle for a 96 Colorado rear axle to get disc brakes. But note that Colorado / Prado springs appear to bottom out much easier than surf.

Mounting points were similar, but track width slightly different.

Diffs are all different too from memory.

Comment

Where does the difference in track come from? Is it in the hubs etc?

I was looking at part numbers and the actual axle casing is the same...

I'm thinking of the 90s series axle swap as above, for disk brakes and E locker.

A lot of people state side run aftermarked LC90 springs and dampers on 4Runners.

Out of interest, what is the front rear brake bias like with a straight disk swap?
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

I tried originally to install just the half shafts and hubs to get disc option, ignoring the locker, however the hub flange had different bolt pattern.
          The Colorado I took the axle from was Uk spec, I believe.

I then decided to swap the whole axle, but discovered the diff was a different ratio also, so swapped the diff into the Colorado housing and fitted the lot!

The diff housing needed some tweaks, a bolt hole needed filling etc, as the diffs are slightly different.

You will probably already know, but you will need to swap the master cylinder to shift the brake fluid at different volumes. No bias issues at all and no load sensor needed as for the Colorado.

I would avoid the Colorado springs as my dad has a Colorado and he wants to swap out the springs to match mine, which are procomp from Roughtrax (2"lift kit)
          This set up has worked for the past 3+ years both on and off road.

Comment

"and no load sensor needed as for the Colorado"

my UK colorado has a load-proportion valve - like my 4runner had.

i fitted OME Old Man Emu shocks and springs,

check part no.s for 4runners on USA sites against the part no's listed from OME suspension to see if shocks/springs are transferrable
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

The thread was talking about a KZN185, which is a 3rd Gen Surf, not a 4runner and the KZN185 doesn't have a load proportion valve.

I agree that the 96 Colorado does have a load valve as noted in my earlier comment - I omitted this on my install and all is well with bias.

If you are installing on a Surf, be careful taking advice from the 4runner sites.

Comment

Nice one.

I'm glad I now know somoene has done it to save me forking out for incompatible parts!!!

Thanks.
                More Lift.
                More Tyres.
                More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                X