Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very confused..............

................about surfs, not my sexuality

is there anyone close to me willing to give up some time whilst i persecute them relentlessly about surfs, in person over a brew, beer etc

i am a little confused over 2/3 gens and trim levels, hard/soft suspension, why some gear lever locations are different and the multi mode 4x4 lever etc

mick.

Originally posted by wetdog View Post
    ................about surfs, not my sexuality

is there anyone close to me willing to give up some time whilst i persecute them relentlessly about surfs, in person over a brew, beer etc

i am a little confused over 2/3 gens and trim levels, hard/soft suspension, why some gear lever locations are different and the multi mode 4x4 lever etc

mick.
    2nd gens have a drop down tail gate, 3rd gens have a hatchback. Both gens have the electric rear window.

2nd gens have a basic transfer case for 4wd, 3rd gens have a centre differential between the transmission and transfer case so that 4wd can be used all the time on any surface if required.

2nd gens have the Normal/Hard shock absorbers as standard, 3rd gens don't.

3rd gens don't have torsion bars, they have coil springs all round.

2nd gens have steering boxes, 3rd gens have steering racks.

Re: trim levels, it all depends what the original owner specified really.

p.s. Two sugars please.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      2nd gens have a drop down tail gate, 3rd gens have a hatchback. Both gens have the electric rear window.

2nd gens have a basic transfer case for 4wd, 3rd gens have a centre differential between the transmission and transfer case so that 4wd can be used all the time on any surface if required. NOT ALWAYS!!!

2nd gens have the Normal/Hard shock absorbers as standard, 3rd gens don't.

3rd gens don't have torsion bars, they have coil springs all round.

2nd gens have steering boxes, 3rd gens have steering racks.

Re: trim levels, it all depends what the original owner specified really.

p.s. Two sugars please.
      You forgot the curling tongs etc in the 3rd Gen
      My other cars a QUAD
      (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
      http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
        You forgot the curling tongs etc in the 3rd Gen
        Didn't get any with mine, or any of that plastic cladding. Probably because it's a butch petrol version.

Comment

apart from the hairdresser accsesories you forgot the important bits
          1. ABS
          2. Air bags
          3. proper hand brake
          4. better MPG
          5. jealous 2 gen owners
          Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

jealous 2nd gen owners eh. all my trucks are 2nd gen and i wouldnt give them up for anything in the world. i have a mate who has a 3rd gen and it is a lot more work to be modified

i think the pre facelift 2nd gen is the best truck toyota did. still with the tried and tested hilux chassis.
            Completely bitten by the off road bug, and what better vehicle to do it in!

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
              apart from the hairdresser accsesories you forgot the important bits
              1. ABS
              2. Air bags
              3. proper hand brake
              4. better MPG
              5. jealous 2 gen owners
              1 2nd gens don't need ABS...
              2 Why carry explosive devices
              3 What's a handbrake
              4 Why by a surf if your worried about MPG
              5 Jealous of what....

A happy 2nd gen owner
              Last edited by sv1000spilot; 4 October 2009, 23:23.
              My other cars a QUAD
              (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
              http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Me thinks I would rather have a prado than a 3rd gen. Would love a lovely boyo machine, will do probably after this one. Or maybe 2 trucks. One for on road and one for offroading ..... Oh decisions, decisions
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

"Bushwhacker: 2nd gens have the Normal/Hard shock absorbers as standard, 3rd gens don't"

Was this an optional extra then as mine has it and I thought it was just a standard feature on the 3rd gen.
                  Neal

Comment

hhhmmmm

after a bit more reading and research it seems to me that the 3rd gens are for the tarts who want a nice comfy all the mod cons 4x4 for the road. and the 2nd gens are for you hard core off roader types, who like to sh1t in the woods and that.

i'm budget driven, i.e. no money

the 2.4's are underpowered, but i cant find a 3l i can afford, so its either wait a bit longer, next year, or buy another explorer and suck up the cam chain problem and 16 mpg, downhill, wind assisted, 50 psi in the tyres,

mick.

Comment

Mick what is your budget for a truck.There are some good bargains on ebay.A forum member has just sold a 3.0l ssrg on there for under a £1000 so its well worth keep looking on there.I look on ebay everyday for my breakers and lately theres been some good deals on there for all trucks
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-S...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994hilux-surf...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Hilux-S...d=p3286.c0.m14
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

thank you for the links stormforce, i have been looking on ebay, but looking a little closer to home,on that 3rd truck down, how does the aftermarket wheels effect the locking hubs? or is that a seriously dumb question.
                          i've had a bit of a kick in the nuts, where as the guy buying my saab 9-5 has backed out , so now need to sell my car or get a px deal. the problem with a px is they want them for nowt
                          not gonna give up though.

mick
                          Last edited by wetdog; 5 October 2009, 14:03.

Comment

Originally posted by wetdog View Post
                            but looking a little closer to home,on that 3rd truck down, how does the aftermarket wheels effect the locking hubs? or is that a seriously dumb question.
                            Not as dumb as it may sound....for anyone posting a reply, look at the wheels first - the bubs are 'covered'.....

How old is your Saab? there are some companies that will buy it although they'll offer you low PX figures for it....unless you look for a higher priced, newer Surf and can PX the Saab against it???
                            Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Working...
                            X